Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turf Forts
hi guys & gals<br>
<br>
just looking to see if anyone knows about any decent pics of turf forts, I am primarily interested in it so I can build a model for my Warhammer Ancients army<br>
Thanks<br>
Dave <p></p><i></i>
I took a couple of photos at Vindolanda, but the best might be one being built in Arkansas by LEG II AUG, near Lafe. Use your search engine and you may find some photos.<br>
<br>
<p>"Just before class started, I looked in the big book where all the world's history is written, and it said...." Neil J. Hackett, PhD ancient history, professor OSU, 1987</p><i></i>
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Some of the turfest forts I've ever had have been after eating a bowl of chili. <p><BR><p align=center><font size=2><font color=gold>
_____________________________________________<BR>
The Way of a Warrior is based on humanity, love,<br>and sincerity.
The heart of martial valor is bravery,<br> wisdom, love, and friendship.
-- <i>Ueshiba Morihei</i>
<BR>
_____________________________________________</font></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
A search for the Lunt Fort will also turn up pages with pictures of the reconstructed gate and earth and timber wall.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
There’s a site about the defenses of roman era Chester at www.julianbaum.co.uk/Ches.../Main.html with some nice CG reconstructions of a timber and turf rampart as well as later stone wall. You should definitely check this one out.<br>
<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/uliquidnitrogod.showPublicProfile?language=EN>LiquidNitroGod</A> at: 10/17/02 11:59:20 am<br></i>
Salue!<br>
<br>
It's too bad that I didn't keep the model of the turf fort that we created when we were pitching the idea of a fort to the park's dept. in Smithville, MO. Great war hammer set up made from blue board and balsa wood.<br>
<br>
While researching the fort, I found that a trip to the University of Kansas library had several good books over the Lunt fort that we used to determine turf square sizing and what not. I'd say there were about half a dozen references that I pulled up, just by browsing for 'roman forts' in the online card catalog. You might try a university near you.<br>
<br>
As an aside, if I can find some of the pictures of the construction work, I'll see I can't post them to a webpage somewhere. Excellent project and one that I was quite proud of (even though it was a small scale project) while it stood (damn the politics of public works).<br>
<br>
Uale!<br>
<br>
Britannicus<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Many thanks folks, found a few sites, and one decent close up of Vindolanda<br>
www.cavazzi.com/roman-emp...landa.html<br>
<br>
<br>
Gaius, if you find them post them in the photo section of my yahoo group,<br>
<br>