Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
deepeeka Imperial-Italic D
How good is the deepeeka Imperial-Italic D helmet? What are the flaws and can they be corrected?

Another question: would it be stupid to have two Imperial-Italic G helmets in the same group of 10 persons?

Best regards,
Marcus
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
I have no clue how good the helmets are, but I would have no problem with very similar helmets in a unit. We generally assume that units rely on suppliers in their vicinity, and it stands to reason that if a group of craftsmen or workshops has an established way of making helmets, they will follow it, and any unit drawing on them will end up with a lot of rather similar pieces. The reaction to 20th-century-style 'uniformity' can be taken too far, IMO.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
The browband is riveted to backwards in the middle of the brass transversal reinforcement, it should be moverd forward. The cheek pieces are too wide, but appart from that, it is an acceptable helmet.
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
There's a guy on Ebay selling the deepeeka Itallic D for a pretty good price...he has other helms too that are cheap. I was surprised.

Legion: TBD
The original d is a bit shallower. Some of them have the eagles and temples riveted instead of soldered, which is wrong. Some of the earlier ones lack the correct "steps" in the neckguard, and have ridges instead, but other Imperial type helmets have these too. The Italic E from nearby Hofheim probably was decorated like the D, and another D type cheekpiece was found in Mainz, so this style of helmet may have been fairly common. The style was apparently popular, because the Gutmann Niedermormter helmet seems derived from the "D" style helmets, as does another of this style from Morrocco. I have a theory that these may have been originally intended for the Praetorian Guard, which I will ealaborate on in my next Roman book.

Dan
Quote:How good is the deepeeka Imperial-Italic D helmet? What are the flaws and can they be corrected?

Another question: would it be stupid to have two Imperial-Italic G helmets in the same group of 10 persons?

Best regards,
Marcus

MARCvS, I am one of those Italic D geeks who really like it (must come from us folks who reenact German in later periods liking gaudy stuff 'Tongue'I made a small website about it at: [url:34mrv8rk]http://www.reenactor.net/marsh/[/url].... give it a look!'Big Grin'
Best, DMV
DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
a.k.a.: Marsh Wise
Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

[img size=150]http://www.romanobritain.org/Graphics/marsh_qr1.png[/img]
(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)
Marsh, can you tell me how thick the brass is that was used for the applied features (eagle, temples) and also the cross pieces? I've started hammering out a helm top and might try one of these helmets. I have a lot of brass sheet scap lying around. Also, on the neck piece, is the steel under the embossed brass also embossed or is it just the overlying brass pieces?Thanks.
Quote:Marsh, can you tell me how thick the brass is that was used for the applied features (eagle, temples) and also the cross pieces? I've started hammering out a helm top and might try one of these helmets. I have a lot of brass sheet scap lying around. Also, on the neck piece, is the steel under the embossed brass also embossed or is it just the overlying brass pieces?Thanks.

I made the eagles thicker... probably thicker than I should have... I forget how thick it was ;-( prob ca. 1/16" as to embossing? I assume you mean under the big back piece... NO. At least not on my Deepeeka...
Best, DMV
DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
a.k.a.: Marsh Wise
Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

[img size=150]http://www.romanobritain.org/Graphics/marsh_qr1.png[/img]
(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Deepeeka Imperial Italic D vs Gallic G Helmet Cheek Guard lenghts wwiigunz 0 1,143 09-21-2017, 08:51 PM
Last Post: wwiigunz
  Modifying Deepeeka Italic D AH6054 Gaius Colletti 51 10,792 07-14-2012, 12:16 AM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius
  Imperial italic D\'s painted black scotti73 20 3,921 03-26-2012, 05:52 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius