Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Underpants for legionary
[Image: loki08.gif]

I have just bought hand woven fabrics for my new outfit. And I dont want to make any mistakes.
Please tell me [Image: tracker.gif] where can I find any cuts/patterns of underpants for legionary ?
Cacaivs Rebivs Asellio
Legio XXI Rapax - http://www.legioxxirapax.com/
a.k.a Cesary Wyszinski
You won't. First of all, there is no certainty soldiers actually wore such items, though we know they existed. Secondly, while we know they existed, no actual items have been recovered AFAIK. Thirdly, Roman clothing was frequently purpose-woven, so the original pattern would most likely involve selvedges we will find it hard to replicate.

Therefore, extrapolate happily, and if it works and looks like the pictures do, be happy, for no one out there will be able to trump you in authenticity.

On a slightly more serious note, A.T. Croom: Roman Clothing and Fashion might be a good starting point
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
So what do you wear under the tunic .... nothing [Image: crazy.gif] ?

I found only underpants for females, (tied on sides) some patterns are in The World of Roman Costume by J.L.Sebesta ..(page nr 234).

Why not use them for man ... [Image: mad.gif]
Cacaivs Rebivs Asellio
Legio XXI Rapax - http://www.legioxxirapax.com/
a.k.a Cesary Wyszinski
Well, I think some of the guys in the Ludus Gladiatoria (did i spell that right?) use some kind of loin cloth....

I just wear some shorts...I'm not sacrificing someone seeing my nards for the sake of authenticity...lol.

Legion: TBD
After a warm day of marching I suddenly found skin irritations where I did not want them to be - and my modern pants suddenly found themselves in the next dustbin.

Furthermore, an absence of pants is more handy for evacuation. You need your left hand to hold the shield in order to shield yourself against curious looks, so you have only one hand to guide your little siphonos AND push up your tunic.
Pants are just an unnecessary disturbance - unless it gets cold.
Florian Himmler (not related!)
Quote:So what do you wear under the tunic .... nothing [Image: crazy.gif] ?

Most likely, yes, at least weather permitting. But if you want to, you can either use a loincloth (amply attested from pictures of workers, gladiators and such) or make yourself a pair of knee-length shorts and be second-century. Although I believe they were made from leather.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
A large part of the Legions were stationed on the Rhine and Danube rivers. Today those regions are cold in the winter and fall and not a hot climate all of the time. Take it back a few thousand years and the winters are worse. I can only speculate, but wouldn't it be common sense to wear an undergarment of some sort. the skin on your legs are not made of leather. I would think that the kind of underwear you are speaking of would be a common piece of clothing for those specific soldiers in colder regions.

Cassius
Dear Cassius,

I know that winters in middle Europe were colder before global warming was a problem - but it can still be QUITE chilly here. Furthermore, I did not say I don't wear anything under my tunic when it is cold :wink:
In such an occasion, a pair of woolen trousers is very useful - WITH modern pants Smile

Only in warm weather is "free air circulation" around certain areas necessary...

[Image: 1.jpg] [/img]
Florian Himmler (not related!)