Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lord of the Rings in Latin
I've added some new translated sentences to my site. Bilbo is almost beginning with his (in)famous speech at his Party .... <p>"For I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words Bother me."<br>
<br>
<strong>Dominus Anulorum</strong></p><i></i>
I've moved my site to a new URL: Dominus Anulorum. <p> ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-<br>
"For I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words Bother me."<br>
<br>
<strong>Dominus Anulorum</strong> </p><i></i>
Something to think about, E -- texts put online are often ripped off by others and passed off as their own creation.<br>
<br>
I would at the least add a highly-obvious copyright notice with your legal name and the year, so you have some protection. Not that it will stop anyone but you don't have much of a leg to stand on without a notice staking your exclusive copyright to the material.<br>
<br>
Looking good, otherwise!<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
Well, I put a copyright remark in the lower bar, but just with my screen name, not my real one. Maybe I should. Or I'll put it somewhere in the HTML-heading of the main page.<br>
<br>
Edit: I took your advice and put a disclaimer in the HTML-heading of the index page.<br>
<p> ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-<br>
<br>
<strong>Dominus Anulorum</strong> </p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub27.ezboard.com/bromancivtalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=earendilyon>Earendilyon</A> at: 10/31/03 2:00 pm<br></i>
Pope John XXIII once saw a helicopter land in St. Peter's Square. He grabbed his aspergillum and went out to perform a blessing on it. Briefly stymied by the absence of a Latin term for "helicopter" he coined the word "helicoptrum." <p></p><i></i>
And as we all know, the Pope is infallible, so 'helicoptrum' it is <p> ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-<br>
<br>
Just bumping the thread so you know I'm still working on and off on my translation.<br>
<br>
Also, I made some changes to my translation of the Ring poem. I had put in some gerundia, which should've been gerundiva, so I changed that:<br>
<br>
Tres Anuli regibus Alfonum sub caelo,<br>
Septem Dominis Nanorum in lapidis aulis,<br>
Novem Hominibus Mortalibus ad morendum damnati,<br>
Unus Domino Obscuro in solio obscuro,<br>
In Terra Mordoris ubi Umbrae,<br>
Unus Anulus ad eos omnes regendos,<br>
Unus Anulus ad eos inveniendos,<br>
Unus Anulus ad eos omnes ferendos et eos in tenebris adiugendos,<br>
In Terra Mordoris ubi Umbrae.<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<p> ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-<br>
<br>
I'm ever 'tuning' my translation of the Ring Verse. Here's a new version:<br>
<br>
Tres Anuli regibus Alfonum sub caelo,<br>
Septem Dominis Nanorum in lapidis aulis,<br>
Novem Hominibus Mortalibus ad morendum damnatis,<br>
Unus Domino Obscuro in solio obscuro,<br>
In Terra Mordoris ubi Umbrae,<br>
Unus Anulus ad eos omnes regendos,<br>
Unus Anulus ad eos inveniendos,<br>
Unus Anulus ad eos omnes ferendos et eos in tenebris astringendos,<br>
In Terra Mordoris ubi Umbrae. <br>
<br>
Still working on the main text also, of course, when I've time for it. <p> ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-<br>
<br>
That's nifty. How much beyond that have you gotten? I know my daughter would love to use it in her Latin classes, and I'm sure a lot of other teachers would too. <p></p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
So the real question is, did you translate it directly from the Black Speech or the English translation of the Black Speech?<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Deb <p></p><i></i>
----------
Deb
Sulpicia Lepdinia
Legio XX
<strong>Richsc</strong>, see the link in my signature for more!<br>
<br>
<br>
<strong>Lepidina</strong>, from the English version of it <p> ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-<br>
<br>