Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early Roman Religion
My understanding is that early on the Romans and Latins had a religion that had not been Etruscanized yet. I also believe that the Romans kept some of these old gods like Sol Indiges. I have never read or even heard of a good book that discusses Roman religion. Can anybody suggest one? I don't want the usual rehash of familiar mythologies. I would be especially interested in the very old Latin cults, and the reforms of Numa. Ideally the book would trace the history of Roman religion from the old Latin cults, to Numa, to the establishment of the state religion. Any suggestions? <p></p><i></i>
Tom Mallory
NY, USA
Wannabe winner of the corona
graminea and the Indy 500.
The good news: an excellent study appeared in 2001. It covers Roman rewligion from both a theological and sociological angle, though mostly synchronically (with little regard for histortical deelopment in the chapter structure, though it identifies changes, of course).<br>
<br>
The bad news: it's in German. Jörg Rüpke: Die Religion der Römer, Verlag C H Beck, Munich 2001, ISBN 3 406 47175 7). Inexpensive paperback edition, though<br>
<br>
There are a number of articles on Roman religion in English (as well as French and German IIRC) in the 'Aufstieg und Niedergang der römischen Welt' collection. They run from the 80s to as late as a few years ago and are very informative, but dense and academic.<br>
<br>
Volker <p></p><i></i>
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  References for Roman religion. Valerian Pertinax 3 1,067 11-14-2013, 10:56 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell
  Roman laws involving religion, AD 311-431 Justin of the New Yorkii 1 961 02-11-2010, 12:11 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat