www.shirebooks.co.uk/Arch....htm#roman<br>
<br>
Roman Dress Accessories £5.99<br>
<br>
Ellen Swift<br>
<br>
0 7478 0567 9 (Shire Archaeology 85) 56 pp, 14 colour and 32 b/w ills.<br>
<br>
This book provides an introduction to Roman dress accessories – defined here as what would today be called costume jewellery (non-precious metal jewellery). Items such as bracelets and pins are widely found in the Roman period in copper alloy, bone, glass, jet, shale and other materials. Completely new objects were introduced by the Romans, spread rapidly in each area of the Empire and were adopted by local populations. Using new evidence from finds, production areas, distribution patterns and the locations of workshops are examined. The interpretation of dress accessories is introduced, with reference to the depiction of objects in Roman art. Brooches, bracelets, beads, necklaces, rings, earrings, pins and belt sets are explained in detail, and the most popular types are described and illustrated, enabling the reader to identify common objects that might be found on an archaeological site or in a museum.<br>
<br>
Ellen Swift studied archaeology at the Institute of Archaeology, University College London, and her PhD was awarded in 1999. She is currently Lecturer in Archaeology at the University of Kent. <p>Legio XX<br>
Caupona Asellinae</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Yes, I've met Ellen. That's a very good book, especially for the price.
It may only be a short volume, but it's a concise typological account
of some very important fittings for Roman re-enactors, mainly buckles
and brooches. And it dispels a few of the myths that have grown up
around the migration period, such as who was Roman and who wasn't.

Ambrosius/Mike
"Feel the fire in your bones."