Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mainz Fishies!
Salvete!<br>
Just got back from an intensive reconnaissance of Mainz (reconaissance because there is quite a lot there and I tend to get 'overfed' trying to take it all in). Couldn't find the thread about the dolphins on a Mainz inscription, but it's definitely there! I hope the photo's succeed, so I can show the close-up I made. Further reports will appear in a travelogue soon!<br>
<br>
Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper <p></p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
I thought everybody knew those were dolphins on those helmets. I look at 'em every day because I have a direct-cast of this monument on top of my television cabinet! It was my intention on this last India trip for deepeeka to custom make me this helmet for the next book. Just ran out of time.... to many other things. Yes Jen, I agree these guys were from 1 Adiutrix and the helmets are probably orichulum like the gallic I series of four of which one is adiutrix marked (and NOT tinned Holger). <p></p><i></i>
Forgot to add, the "monster" on the Guisborough pseudo-attic cavalry helmet is neither Griffin or Capricorn. It is a kind of Roman "Dragon" with a distincly reptilian head that occurs fairly often on Roman military equipment and sculpture. The Niederbieber Draco standard is most likely the head of one. Instead of a fish, or whale, this is the animal often depicted in early Christian art which swallows Jonah per the biblical story. It has a specific latin name (other than "Draco" but it escapes me now.) I believe this is the "prototype" of the "classic" Medieval dragon, with the sea-going fins evolving into wings. Jenny, since you know my "pets", you might imagine my interest in these! <p></p><i></i>
You really should move that not-so-little caiman to slightly bigger quarters, though!<br>
<br>
J. <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
He's free to roam the house most of the time, I only shut the bathroom door when there's visitors that might accidentally trip over him, or feel "uncomfortable". When it warms up, he moves outside to the "Wintergarden", and his big swiming pool (ex-patriot missile warhead container). <p></p><i></i>
Well, this thread is <i> really</i> starting to take an OT turn, E EM but did I tell you I now have four pet snakes? Two Rosy Boas (trivirgata trivirgata ssp.), a Royal Python (P. regius) and my personal favorite, the male common boa (B. c. imperator) named "Bob," as in Silent Bob.<br>
<br>
We like to throw parties, my husband and I, and the snakes invariably become the centerpieces of conversation. Everyone wants to hold one... but I imagine that would not work so well with your 5-foot croc! EM<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
J. <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
Jenny, You can bring your snakes to a Roman reenactment, they were fairly popular pets back then. There is one account how women used them to "refresh" themselves, but I don't want to get into it on this public forum. Of course, just bring your "authentic", old world snakes, no Romans could have owned a Boa, except, maybe, the ones that landed in Beuenos Aires.<br>
<br>
Oh, I think Jasper threw me off on the reptilian roman helmets. The Guisborough helmet has the snakes, its the Worthing helmet with the dragons/dracos.<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
(This post is missing and can not be restored) <p></p><i></i>