Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gardening book
If you're interested in that sort of thing there is a new book on Roman Gardening that I spotted in the BBC History mag. It's title is HORTUS:THE ROMAN BOOK OF GARDENING, by John Henderson pub. Routledge.It contains hofticultural writings from Palladius,Pliny and Virgil etc.UK price is £17.99.<br>
Lawrence <p></p><i></i>
Lawrence Payne

Asking me to tile your bathroom is like asking Vermeer to creosote your shed ;-)
[url:2kdj7ztq]http://www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk[/url]
www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk
www.romanmosaicpatterns.com
How does that book compare to say, Linda Farrar's "Ancient Roman Gardens" ? <p></p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Not sure how this book compares, unfortunately gardening to me is something you hire gardeners to do. Saying that though I am planning a shallow pool with a small free standing fountain to take to the shows and was wondering if anyone had any ideas about how best to display it, ie some small potted shrubs etc.Any foliage would have to stand the transporting, I would like to avoid plastic stuff but this does have the advantage that it could be chucked into the back of the lorry between shows and it would deal with the mindbogglingly<br>
tedious task of watering them.<br>
The pool will be roughly about 2.2m by 1m by 15cm high.I was thinking of getting a space between a couple of the buildings and having a blank wall at the back.Any ideas?<br>
Lawrence <p></p><i></i>
Lawrence Payne

Asking me to tile your bathroom is like asking Vermeer to creosote your shed ;-)
You could keep the plants in pots and cover them with moss or something else period which would make watering them easier. Between shows you could take pots out and just leave them outside. From my experiences, England gets plenty of rain so watering shouldn't be a problem.<br>
<br>
Deb <p></p><i></i>
----------
Deb
Sulpicia Lepdinia
Legio XX
Thanks I might try that and see if they last.If I'm able to get it done for this year I'll post a couple of pics up.<br>
Lawrence <p></p><i></i>
Lawrence Payne

Eerrh Lawrence,<br>
How big is your van?<br>
Just a wild idea. Your pond with fountain would fit perfectly inside a just suggested small impluvium ambient. Just four light cylindrical column shafts (no need for enthasis, capitals or bases) joined by four lintels. Hollow plywood or cardboard boxes painted rough or something similar...<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Aitor,<br>
The group (Second Augusta) has two lorries so space is no problem.I take your point about the fountain pump itself,I did have a source for a small dolphin head for the water spout but may use some small sheets of Hexlite for the panelling as this will not warp if wet and will be lighter than the plywood.How could I make the columns though?<br>
Musivarius <p></p><i></i>
Lawrence Payne

You belong to Secunda Augusta? Maybe I saw you at Tarragona a few years ago... I was there only as a tourist then and I did only know Nodge Nolan from the Colchester Society.<br>
Returning to topic, the better solution would be to use PVC (or the like) sewage piping. You'll need to have the 'columns' weighed at the base (concrete filling?) to give them some stability. I'd also link the bases of the 'columns' tiying them to, for instance, a square made out of four wooden boards which can make a doublet for a perimetral step. You can add fiber-glass doric capitals (suited for un-fluted shafts) if you want, but I think that nobody will notice it too much as long as the 'columns' are painted white and red and some nice 'oscilla' are hanging from the lintels !<br>
<br>
Aitor<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner