Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latin question
I don't know if you can answer this, but I thought I'd try. What does the motto, "servitus dominus ausfria" mean? If you can't help, thanks anyway. <p>Quote:</em></strong><hr><span style="font-familyConfusedymbol;font-size:large;">amaqestate kai kake, afeV ton palaion, mh metapoiei</span><br>
<br>
(Fool and knave, can't you leave the old reading alone and not alter it!)<br>
<br>
â€â€Â
Vale! Don't know what 'ausfria' means, as it does not seem to be classical Latin. What is the reference? <p>Legio XX<br>
Caupona Asellinae</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
It's on my family crest as my family motto. Straight from Ireland. My family originated in Germany in the 1100's, so I'm wondering if it's that old. <p>Quote:</em></strong><hr><span style="font-familyConfusedymbol;font-size:large;">amaqestate kai kake, afeV ton palaion, mh metapoiei</span><br>
<br>
(Fool and knave, can't you leave the old reading alone and not alter it!)<br>
<br>
â€â€Â
"servitus dominus ausfria" - 'servitus' means servitude and 'dominus' master. Are you sure it's written 'aufria', not 'austria'? That would make some sense, as your family came from Germany.<br>
Anyway, the phrase doesn't make much sense to me, unless 'austriae' should be read. That would make it into 'servitude is the master of Austria' <p> ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-<br>
"For I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words Bother me."<br>
<br>
<strong>Dominus Anulorum</strong> </p><i></i>
> Are you sure it's written 'aufria', not 'austria'? That would make some sense, as your family came from Germany.<br>
<br>
I'd take bets that it's "Austria" as well. If it's in an "old" script, the internal "s" would have been written more like a modern "f", hence the confusion. This was only done with the "s" in the middle of a word but not at the beginning or end of it.<br>
<br>
Deb <p></p><i></i>
----------
Deb
Sulpicia Lepdinia
Legio XX

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question for Latin speakers Gladius Hispaniensis 5 2,118 02-26-2012, 10:19 PM
Last Post: S. Marcer
  Question for Greek and Latin speakers Gladius Hispaniensis 2 1,469 10-31-2011, 05:27 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr
  Another Latin question! ParthianBow 10 2,184 01-14-2011, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat