Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Charles Martel and Charlemagne
I know this is a bit off topic from ancient warfare, but as someone who's only familiar with Greek and Roman History I would like to start expanding on my knowledge into the medieval periods. Two people that are very interesting to me is Charles Martel and his grandson Charlemagne. I guess what's peaking my interest is Vikings. Even though I was told Vikings is no where near what actually happened, it's at least *piqued* my interest in those surrounding times. 

I suppose what I'm asking is books for those people, including the era that those men, including the Vikings, and the Saracens. I'm looking for good authors that match that grip the imagination like Thomas Asbridge, and Adrian Goldsworthy. Anyone have any recommendations?
"I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know." ~Cicero

Some books some fiction some not not so much... unfortunatly can't help with Charlemagne

The long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson a classic (Historical Fiction Vikings)
King Haralds Saga By Snorri Sturluson (Norse Saga)
Cnut: Danes in England in the Early Eleventh Century by M.K.Lawson (History Anglo-Norse)
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Thank you for your recommendation.

(01-03-2017, 07:13 PM)Hasdrubal Wrote: Thank you for your recommendation.

Your Welcome, A few books Ive read though I've stuck mostly to Archaeology, Poetry and Chronicles, and various other source books rarely fiction as the Sagas are fiction enough for me Big Grin
If you find Maps usefull for following events I would recommend "The penguin historical atlas of the Vikings" by John Haywood, it includes maps for the Frankish raids, Hardrada and Cnut and about everthing else you can imagine, a usefull visual aid and a book (introduction) I would recommend to anyone interested in the the era....

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2350...he_Vikings
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
That's actually not a bad idea. I remember hearing Charlemagne fought the Vikings in his time, though I don't know if that's true. I'm curious in finding out.

I heartily recommend The Inheritance of Rome by Christopher Wickham.

And not to nitpick, but your interest is piqued, not peaked.
I apologize for the improper pronunciation. Thank you for the recommendation.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Charles ffoulkes, the English Enigma Eleatic Guest 4 4,707 04-11-2020, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Dan Howard
  Charlemagne and cheetahs Flavivs Aetivs 1 1,078 12-08-2013, 07:00 PM
Last Post: 1493541