Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Roman fiction
I just got my copy of the anthology "Roman Whodunnits", with some new authors in there. Over in RAT, Simon Scarrow and J M Roberts both said they were surprised at finding new names, but Steven Saylor's intro is a good explanation for the explosion in Roman fiction.<br>
I have a weblist of Roman mystery writers, but I don't know of any for Roman fiction per se. Since I"m always on the lookout, and since some Brit authors get published there but don't seem to make it over here, I was wondering who your favorite authors were, and if they are still in print.<br>
<br>
I have all the books of:<br>
Lindsey Davis<br>
Steven Saylor<br>
J Maddox Roberts<br>
Simon Scarrow<br>
Caroline Lawrence<br>
<br>
as well as<br>
Robert Graves<br>
Wallace Breem<br>
Mary Ray<br>
David Wishart<br>
Bryher<br>
Henry Winterfeld<br>
<br>
and a few more. Can't finish one of those Claudia mysteries, though, try as I may.<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Try Coleen McCulloch ,I think I've spelt her name correctly.She wrote,'The Thorn Birds' and has also written a number of fiction books based on the Roman Empire from the time of the Republic onwards.She uses historical figures,Sulla etc,and the stories are based on what we know of them and her level of research is quite astounding.Agood one I think is Caeser,she includes some very good descriptions of the siegeworks.<br>
Lawrence <p></p><i></i>
Lawrence Payne

Asking me to tile your bathroom is like asking Vermeer to creosote your shed ;-)
[url:2kdj7ztq]http://www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk[/url]
www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk
www.romanmosaicpatterns.com
It's Colleen McCullough and she wrote 'First Man in Rome' mostly about Marius, 'Caesar's Women' and 'Ceasar' mostly about Julius Caesar. Good reads. I also have a book called 'Island of Ghosts' by Gillian Bradshaw about a Sarmatian unit in Britain which was pretty good.<br>
<br>
My all time favourites will always be any Rosemary Sutcliffe Roman period book. Though written for young people, I have reread them several times as an adult and enjoyed them just as much. 'Outcast' (which is the only one I actually own) has some scenes that take place in Rome and some in Britain.<br>
<br>
I also have an old, used copy of 'The Last Days of Pompeii' by Sir Edward Bulwer Lytton (who originated the phrase "It was a dark and stormy night.") It's very melodramatic and probably not very accurate, but a fun read if you go into it with the right mindset.<br>
<br>
Wendy <p>"I am an admirer of the ancients,but not like some people so as to despise the talent of our own times." Pliny the Younger</p><i></i>
I've got Iain Pears "Dream of Scipio" which is partially set in the 5th cenutry Roman empire but haven't gotten too far into it. Saw the title in Border's and just had to pick it up.<br>
<br>
The book blurb:<br>
<br>
"In The Dream of Scipio, Pears sends his keen imagination through history, braiding together three narratives across three embattled centuries, each of which reflects the cyclical struggle to preserve "civilized" values in the face of impending catastrophe. The earliest narrative thread takes place in the Provençal region of fifth-century Gaul, when the Roman Empire is crumbling and barbarian hordes are pounding at the gates. In the face of the escalating threat, philosopher/aristocrat Manlius Hippomanes devises a scheme to preserve the essence of the Golden Age of Rome. He also composes a document called "The Dream of Scipio," which sets forth in detail his own flawed moral philosophy, a philosophy that resonates throughout the novel." <p></p><i></i>
----------
Deb
Sulpicia Lepdinia
Legio XX
I probably should modify the question to be looking for new authors or favorites usually unknown. I just read a mystery "All Roads Lead to Murder" by Albert Bell, a first for him and one I stumbled across. I also just finished Bill Altimari's "Legion", another new Roman military adventure book.<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
When possible, it might be helpful if the person suggesting a book title could compare the writer's style to another better-known writer if there is such a comparison. I only say this because I have ordered and paid for books that I ended up not finishing because they weren't the style of writing I enjoy reading, so I wasted my money. Also there is a lot of self-publishing going on these days and the quality is inconsistent. Some self-published books are fantastic and some are dreadful--hard to know in advance.<br>
<br>
Wendy <p>"I am an admirer of the ancients,but not like some people so as to despise the talent of our own times." Pliny the Younger</p><i></i>
The new publication "Roman Whodunnits" is an excellent way to compare many writer's styles on the cheap. This is some 20 short stories, all mysteries (but no Lindsey Davis for some reason).<br>
<br>
Now, for trying out an author new to you, do you try to get the book used ? <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub27.ezboard.com/bromancivtalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=richsc>Richsc</A> at: 9/18/03 7:21 pm<br></i>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
For an older book by an author new to me, I might try the library first. But we don't really have a very big library here. When a new book comes out by an author I've never read before, I usually have to risk ordering online and hoping I like it--we also don't have a bookstore with much variety. I really like the sites that let you read excerpts.<br>
<br>
When I visit my family in the huge metropolis of Saskatoon, it isn't unusual for me to spend $100 at the bookstore.<br>
<br>
(Yes, children, there really is a place called Saskatoon, Saskatchewan )<br>
<br>
I remember that along with Rosemary Sutcliffe I really enjoyed Henry Treece's books many years ago. I have to admit it's a Viking trilogy that stands out most in my mind, but if I recall correctly Red Queen White Queen, The Centurion and Legions of the Eagle are amongst his Roman period stories.<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Ah, Saskatoon showed up in a Horace Rumpole story (Rumpole of the Bailey..that series). So I have heard of it. Bertie Wooster too, but that's another story. <p></p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Okay Wendy now I believe you!<br>
<br>
I just found a website called Fictional Rome which seems to have a huge amount of authors that possibly nobody's ever heard of. Probably not surprising as some go back a hundred years or more.<br>
<br>
www.stockton.edu/~roman/fiction/<br>
<br>
So far, I've only had a quick glance but came across an interesting sounding book in the New Reviews section.<br>
It's called A.D.62 Pompeii by Rebecca West and there is a very comprehensive review of the work.<br>
A bit of the blurb:<br>
This novel involves time travel and thus might be classed as fantasy or science fiction but the time travel is only a means to move a 21st century Harvard ABD in classics back to shortly before the first earthquake at Pompeii."<br>
<br>
"She has done solid research and used good sources for Roman Daily Life and Pompeiian topography and architecture."<br>
<br>
Jackie. <p></p><i></i>
My favorite is Gore Vidal "Julian" <p></p><i></i>
A little late but I recommend The October Horse by Collin McCullough. It is about the last years of Julius Caesar's life and when he comes to Egypt with Cleopatra. It is a very nice story with history and fiction weaved together almost to perfection.<br>
<br>
A very nice transition from view points. Example: From the last page of Caesar in Alexandria to Marcus Cato and Cicero in Dyrrachium after the Battle of Pharsalus. Also very nicely done when introducing Octavian and Antony into the story.<br>
<br>
I give it a two thumbs up <p></p><i></i>
Salve Jason! Never too late to jump into a thread. I think I have the October Horse too.<br>
<br>
I just finished "Pompeii" and was pleased with it. <p>Legio XX<br>
Caupona Asellinae</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
I got a couple of great looking titles recently of 50s paperbacks - haven't read them yet but savouring the chance - titles like 'Those who are about to die ...' 'The Gladiator' (Not the Koestler) And the novel Sign of the Pagan on which the film was based. (not sure if its one of those novels of the film but it doesn't say so). Also tracked down a copy of Perdue's Slave and Master(?).<br>
<br>
I'll let you know - but I'm not holding my breath for quality!<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
<br>
Muzzaguchi <p>It is an unscrupulous intellect that does not pay Antiquity its due reverence - Erasmus of Rotterdam<br>
<br>
'Modern history, like a deaf man, answers questions no one asks' - Tolstoy War and Peace Ep. ii.1</p><i></i>
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman \"Abandonment\" of Britain: Fact or Fiction? Alanus 30 9,879 01-24-2013, 05:47 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Your Favorite Roman Latin Quotes Maxims Mottos Sayings ? Restitvtvs 55 45,228 06-26-2012, 12:53 AM
Last Post: FilmGirl
  Favorite Roman Text/Roman Author/Poet Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus 12 3,311 04-01-2006, 09:38 PM
Last Post: Primitivus