Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Roman fiction
I have only read one fictional 'novel' set during roman times. It's title Empire of the Eagle by Andre Norton/Susan Schwartz. But I think it lies more in the realm of science fiction. It was set after the great defeat at Carrhae and how a tribune named Quintus followed the captured eagles. To be my first attempt at reading a 'historical' piece I thought of this book as quite entertaining. <p></p><i></i>
aka: Julio Peña
Quote:"audaces Fortuna iuvat"
- shouted by Turnus in Virgil\'s Aeneid in book X just before he is utterly destroyed by Aeneas\' Trojans.
I've read A.D. 62 and enjoyed it. Easy read. <p></p><i></i>
Hey, Jason, you gave McCullough a sex change. It's actually Colleen McCullough, not Collin. <p>"I am an admirer of the ancients,but not like some people so as to despise the talent of our own times." Pliny the Younger</p><i></i>
Hmm... almost all of my books are at home. I haven't read them yet, but I know there are <em>The Egyptian</em>, <em>The Etruscan</em>, and <em>The Roman</em> by Mika Waltari. Also on the to-do list is <em>Roman Wall</em> by Bryher.<br>
I recently read <em>Pompeii</em> by Robert Harris and it was a lot of fun. Maybe I'm biased because of all the naval action with Pliny and the Piscina Mirabilis at Misenum. It follows an aqueduct engineer for the three days leading up to the eruption.<br>
<br>
uts.cc.utexas.edu/~soon/h...besaw.html covers a bunch of different places and times.<br>
<br>
It's not Roman, but <em>An Instance of the Fingerpost</em> by Iain Pears (see <em>the Dream of Scipio</em> above) is great reading set in 17th century England. <p></p><i></i>
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Speaking of which, two new books just released at Amazon.UK:<br>
Lindsay Davis' "Scandal Takes a Holiday"<br>
<br>
and<br>
<br>
Carolyn Lawrence's "Gladiator of Capua"<br>
<br>
Looks like Steven Saylor's new one is due any day too.<br>
<br>
Have to wonder why they aren't released in the US at the same time. <p>Legio XX<br>
Caupona Asellinae</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
I recommend Colleen McCullogh. I know theres been a lot on her so far but she truly is an astonishing author, especially if youre main interest, like jine, is in the Late republic. Another authour would be Valerio Massimo Manfredi. he wrote The Last Legioin, about a band of Romans who deliver Romulus Augustus, the last emerpor oif the west from the evil barbarians under Odoacer. Good read with some historical backings. The last one is a bit more of a fun read, Conn iggulden. He writes the Emperor series, abot the life of Julius Caesar, starting with the death of his father, in Emperor, The gates of Rome. Fun read but not exactly acurate, and sticks only roughly to Caesar's life. Good luck finding them!<br>
<br>
andrewbiggs <p></p><i></i>
Go to stevensaylor.com and check out his bookshop which lists recommended authors and books by categories. He lists fiction, nonfiction, history, military, mystery, culture and fantasy. I have found many great books there and once I checked them out on Amazon, that site lead me to many, many more. As a matter of fact, I just bought 15 books (used) from 2 cents to $6.50 on there. A great place to pick up books! <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman \"Abandonment\" of Britain: Fact or Fiction? Alanus 30 9,915 01-24-2013, 05:47 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Your Favorite Roman Latin Quotes Maxims Mottos Sayings ? Restitvtvs 55 45,426 06-26-2012, 12:53 AM
Last Post: FilmGirl
  Favorite Roman Text/Roman Author/Poet Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus 12 3,393 04-01-2006, 09:38 PM
Last Post: Primitivus