Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where was the Roman Army in AD408?
(01-18-2017, 05:25 PM)FlavivsĀ Aetivs Wrote: those units (I believe it's stated its 6 Legions, is it not?) were annihilated and only like 100 men survived... 6 Arithmoi totalling 4000 men from Constantinople

Five I think - "Five of the tagmata in Dalmatia... manned with 6000 men". And there were six units (arithmoi, or banda?) from Constantinople that defended Ravenna, again numbering 6000*. I suspect all of these could either legions or auxilia, if there was even a difference between them at this point - numeri anyway.

* Actually, you're quite right - Sozomen says there were 6 arithmoi totalling about 4000 men (explained here) - the dodgy old online version of Zosimus says 6000, but this could be a misprint or mistake...

But yes, it does seem there was morale/leadership/command and control problem in the Roman forces in Italy during this period. The army amassed at Ticinum at 408 to confront the usurpers in Gaul seems to fall apart for about three years, until General Constantius (probably) manages to pull them back together again. The fact that Honorius had to bring fresh troops from Dalmatia and Constantinople, and otherwise had to rely on ten thousand Huns (mercenaries?) to defend him suggests he didn't have much faith or trust in his own army!

This makes me wonder where Constantius comes into things, and how he was able to reimpose command over the troops in Italy. He was born in Naissus, apparently, and was 'Roman' - could he have arrived in Italy with those tagmata from Dalmatia? Perhaps he was leading them, until the force was handed over to Valens? He must have moved quickly to seize control in 410 or so, condemning and executing Olympius shortly afterwards and then invading Gaul. Perhaps a late manifestation of the old-fashioned Illyrian vir militaris, and more acceptable to the troops than the short-lived and politically-appointed magistri that succeeded Stilicho?
Nathan Ross

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where was the Roman Army in AD408? - by Nathan Ross - 01-18-2017, 06:28 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Troops in Rome, AD408-410? Nathan Ross 16 3,808 03-06-2014, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat