Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where was the Roman Army in AD408?
(01-18-2017, 06:28 PM)Nathan Ross Wrote: The army amassed at Ticinum at 408 to confront the usurpers in Gaul seems to fall apart for about three years, until General Constantius (probably) manages to pull them back together again. The fact that Honorius had to bring fresh troops from Dalmatia and Constantinople, and otherwise had to rely on ten thousand Huns (mercenaries?) to defend him suggests he didn't have much faith or trust in his own army!

The army amassed at Ticinum would have been dispersed very soon afterwards I think, or at least around several other parts of Italy. Given all the crises and the lack of available units, no commander could afford to keep so many troops in the field for so long a time without a real purpose? They will for sure have fought Alaric during his second invasion of Italy (late summer 408), but during 409, with all the negotiations going on, Italy seems to have been quite peaceful. Would the entire army have been kept together? I have my doubts about that. The next year, Attalus besieges Ravenna before Alaric marches on Rome, and Constantine III is able to enter northern Italy with his main army (the remainder going to Spain) and even reaches Ravenna before a revolt in Gaul forces him to turn back.

This makes me think that either a) there was no longer a strong military presence in northern Italy or b) they were there but refused to do anything.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where was the Roman Army in AD408? - by Robert Vermaat - 01-20-2017, 08:04 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Troops in Rome, AD408-410? Nathan Ross 16 3,878 03-06-2014, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat