Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jewish Temple Guard
What would the Temple Guards of Judea look like? Would they look like typical "Oriental" troops or would they have borrowed Roman armor?
James Ajiduah
What are 'typical oriental guards'? Turbans and curved swords? Wink You realise that the Romans took over from the Ptolomeans who were in fact a Greek dynasty?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
(01-26-2017, 07:00 PM)Robert Vermaat Wrote: What are 'typical oriental guards'? Turbans and curved swords? Wink You realise that the Romans took over from the Ptolomeans who were in fact a Greek dynasty?

Yep, like these guys:
werzit.com/intel/religion/christianity/history/jesus/guards.jpg
wp.production.patheos.com/blogs/filmchat/files/2015/03/ad-Batch02_02_Reuben_0.jpg
James Ajiduah
(01-26-2017, 05:45 PM)LonginusXXI Wrote: What would the Temple Guards of Judea look like? Would they look like typical "Oriental" troops or would they have borrowed Roman armor?

Very unlikely they wore any armour or 'military' gear at all, I think. They would have dressed much like other Jewish men of the era, and carried clubs/staves and swords when necessary.

There's an illustration by Graham Sumner in Roman Military Clothing 1 of an auxiliary soldier in 'civilian disguise' that probably captures the look very well.
Nathan Ross
(01-28-2017, 07:11 PM)Nathan Ross Wrote:
(01-26-2017, 05:45 PM)LonginusXXI Wrote: What would the Temple Guards of Judea look like? Would they look like typical "Oriental" troops or would they have borrowed Roman armor?

Very unlikely they wore any armour or 'military' gear at all, I think. They would have dressed much like other Jewish men of the era, and carried clubs/staves and swords when necessary.

There's an illustration by Graham Sumner in Roman Military Clothing 1 of an auxiliary soldier in 'civilian disguise' that probably captures the look very well.

Could you post it?
James Ajiduah
(01-30-2017, 05:02 PM)LonginusXXI Wrote: Could you post it?

Fraid not - it's a copyright image. Why not buy the book? It's not expensive!
Nathan Ross
Can you post the page/image number? I am interested in this as well. I just purchased the book so I'll see when it gets here.
YBIC
Mike S.
(04-16-2017, 05:42 PM)mjsanta83 Wrote: Can you post the page/image number?  I am interested in this as well.  I just purchased the book so I'll see when it gets here.

The auxiliary in 'civilian dress' actually appears on the front cover (lefthand figure) - the other 'Judean' figures are on the same plate - I don't know which exact page,  but it's a fairly short book so you should be able to find it easily!
Nathan Ross
Thank you, sir. I appreciate the help.
YBIC
Mike S.
Book came in today. Page (diagram? C) number 2. Very interesting. I see what you mean and it makes some sense.
YBIC
Mike S.
Hi

Frightening to think those illustrations were done over 17 years ago!!!

Today after more research I might make the tunic and cloak a bit more patched and worn on figure C2, while I would add clavi to the tunic of the centurion C3.

There is of course an Osprey book on the army of Herod the Great, but the equipment shown is a mixture of Roman and Hellenistic with no "Temple Guard" as such.

Robert is right in that our perception of biblical dress is very much influenced by our stereotypical viewpoint. In particular by the work of the nineteenth century artist James Tissot. Tissot went to the middle East and assumed the contemporary dress he saw was 'traditional'. His illustrations were very popular in America and later influenced Hollywood movies.

It is amusing that Herod's bodyguards in films very often look like the Klingons in Star Trek the original series. Not helped when one actor, Michael Ansara played both roles!

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
JMJ -

Graham, thank you for the reply. The book is great; the pictures are great as well.

I will check out the Osprey book as well, it should be useful.

I have learned slowly that you are very correct about our modern times having a very stereotypical viewpoint on biblical dress.

"It is amusing that Herod's bodyguards in films very often look like the Klingons is Star Trek the original series." - That is very funny; but I've never noticed.

I apologize to the OP for hijacking, but this is a very interesting topic to me.
YBIC
Mike S.
(04-26-2017, 11:47 PM)mjsanta83 Wrote: "It is amusing that Herod's bodyguards in films very often look like the Klingons is Star Trek the original series."  - That is very funny; but I've never noticed.

Here is Michael Ansara playing both a Herodian and Klingon.

Graham.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Hoping this is seen so long after the post.
Is there any idea of how many temple guards were present at any one time?
Would there have been a cohort of 500 or so men? or a much smaller number?