Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sword vs Spear
I've often wondered which melee weapon is most effective the sword or the spear? The only two armies that I know that heavily used swords were the Romans and Fedual Japan. Most other armies ancient and medieval I know of primarily used spears primarily but not exclusively. For example was the Roman Army under Caeser with the Gladius or the Roman infantry man under Stilicho with the Spatha more effective than say the infantry of Heraclius in the 7th century who primarily used spears. I realize this is an overly broad question but when it comes to the nitty-gritty of killing men face to face in formation which is more effective?
That depends on the context and the situation. The Roman army under Stilicho would have had spears as their primary armament as well, and switched to swords when their spears broke or weren't effective.
Romans only used swords under limited situations. Usually only when they were on the offensive and fighting on open ground. Spears were used in other situations. Japanese never used swords as their primary battlefield weapon. They used polearms like everyone else.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Quote:Romans only used swords under limited situations. Usually only when they were on the offensive and fighting on open ground.

I would not take that as gospel. The Pilum pretty easily doubles as a spear, yeah, but the disparate lack of spearheads in Roman archaeology associated with infantry stations prior to the 3rd century AD is quite telling.
There are no spearheads because the pilum served the same purpose. Which author mentioned the legionary who parried with his pilum so much that it resembled a strigil?
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Sword vs. the Spear Bryan 32 8,887 01-28-2014, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Bryan
  The Primary Weapon, Spear or Sword? John Conyard 31 8,587 03-25-2009, 11:06 PM
Last Post: Mithras
  Spear of Jesus TV Show(Spear of Destiny) Anonymous 4 2,578 04-13-2004, 02:25 PM
Last Post: Anonymous