Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hortum
Ave -

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me anything about the kinds of plants one would find in a Roman garden (hortum). I'm thinking of flowers, herbs, vegetables, and fruits.

Cato the Elder (On Agriculture VIII.2) refers to a variety of flowers, including Megarian bulbs, myrtle, laurel, and nuts. I have no idea what a "Megarian bulb" would grow; same with "Abellan" and "Praenistine" nuts.

Any other ancient, modern or online sources would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

G. Jul. Quartus
Gauis Julius Quartus / John Christianson

Multum cum in omnibus rebus tum in re militari potest fortuna. (Caesar, BG, VI.30)
There are quite a few books out on Roman Gardens:

Gardens of the Roman World by Patrick Bow,
Publisher: J. Paul Getty Museum (August 1, 2004) ISBN: 0892367407

Ancient Roman Gardens by Linda Farrar, Publisher: Sutton Pub Ltd (November 1, 1998), ISBN: 0750917253

Ancient Roman Gardens by Dumbarton Oaks Colloquium on the History of Landscape Architecture, Elisabeth B. Macdougall, Wilhelmina Mary Feemster Jashemski, Dumbarton Oaks. Genealogical Publishing Company (October 1, 1981) ISBN: 0884021009
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Thanks.

I was thinking about emailing the Getty museum to see if they could help. After seeing pictures (somewhere), its on my list of places to visit *some day*.

As far as the other books - a trip to the library will do me good.
Gauis Julius Quartus / John Christianson

Multum cum in omnibus rebus tum in re militari potest fortuna. (Caesar, BG, VI.30)