Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Roman Empire in 211 CE wall map
Over the last few years I made a quite detailed map of the Roman Empire in 211 CE. I designed it as a DIN A0 sized decorative wall map (scale 1:4.5 Mio), something I wanted to have for a long time, not to compete with the established atlases or educational maps. Work on it essentially started back in 2010, when gathering data to simulate the spread of the Antonine Plague, a university pet project. At that time Din A0 appeared as the largest practical size to me. Today I would probably choose B0, while keeping the scale, to show more of the surrounding territories. By now the map has already gone through a few iterations and I am quite satisfied with it.

For some time it was distributed by a small German publisher, Sardis Verlag, which is currently in the process of being disbanded. I also made a few other ancient world maps, but I am not yet as happy with them as with the Roman Empire map. With the demise of Sardis Verlag I recently made my own homepage for my maps. The Roman Empire map can be viewed there:

https://www.tabulae-geographicae.de/engl...d/preview/

I am also selling prints of my maps on the page, mostly former Sardis Verlag stuff, but the image on the link page is fully zoom able, every label can be read and the map fully explored. On my page there are also extended commentaries and a bibliography for the map.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Michael
Wow, that's a nice map!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
(05-25-2017, 05:59 PM)Robert Vermaat Wrote: Wow, that's a nice map!

I was thinking that myself its very good indeed Wink
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Wonderful work indeed!
Phil McKay
Illustrator
www.philmckay.com
Magnifique carte.
Jean Michel CHAFFANGE