Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Craticvla reconstruction
I have started a Pompeii stove  Smile  our group needs a new one, I hope to have it finished for next weekend Sedgefield event,
http://www.frontline-sedgefield.co.uk
But if not then the Hadrians Cavalry event at Carlisle, http://hadrianswallcountry.co.uk/events/...e-carlisle
I have used good heavy plate so it could be used as a forge he he  Wink so been hard at it bending the plates.

I am greatful I have a anvil to do the riveting on so back up to the work shop tomorrow  Smile
Regards Brennivs  Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Been busy most of today. Back to when they were made I just wish I had the patterns to copy from would have made it quicker to make, instead had to build it all in my head   Confused  Shy I have hand riveted it all together and cold forged all the fittings. Just about finished just 6 rivets to finish to put the grill on and paint.

Will post when finished, any questions do ask  Wink
Regards Brennivs  Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Lovely work, Brennius - look forward to seeing it at Carlise if not sooner!
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
Thank you Francis   Smile great you are going to the event,  stop by for a chat.
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Try and stop me!
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
I think I have finished  Huh  unless I can fit a slave driven spit  Cool  I have enjoyed this little project and the challenge of bending 2mm plate with a vice and angle iron and John's hammer, plus the therapy of riveting. Also the fact I feel like I am on Time Team with only 3 days to make it before back to work   Wink   I have put it on high legs at the moment, to see what the group thinks first. I hope everyone likes it  Smile

I know they are different variations on construction but I cannot find info on some of the more elaborate types that have been found, however my research has found some excellent pottery stoves, so ingenious. The Greek grills are impressive just for there simplicity.
Francis I will be the dumb one at the back forced to repair kit or else  Tongue
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Looks great - although my knowledge of these things is minimal at best! I will be coming down to Sedgefield on Sunday from Glasgow so will follow the smell of cooking!
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
Had to put a little bling on it,

Dimensions 21" long, 14" wide, 8" high plus 52 rivets and weighs in at 22lb with out legs. Also might be doing a small cooker for a single pot but need to find a photo and infomation on them first, but must be similar to the pottery ones found,

This type has been updated and is quite popular now with wild camping.
Francis you are more likely to been drooling next to the burger and ice cream van before smelling us.
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Here is the stove outside our Papillo, have not used, it was far too hot on the weekend,

The group loved the stove and the public were quite surprised how advanced it was in design as well as the Royal Artillary  Smile
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
What a coincidence. I have been working in one too. Sorry for the picture. Also it was not fininished there.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Great minds think alike  Wink very nice indeed. Ours had its first outing last weekend, borrowed by another group to cook us a stew  Tongue Tongue Tongue and very nice it was. Here it is in action,

It worked brillant and how good it was at controlling the temperature of various pots ect and pushed out quite a bit heat. So I hope you have many a hearty meal from yours Leonardo  Smile
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Well.. there were two days of heavy eating and drinking. About 15 chicken breasts lots of bacon and cow meat and several liters of wine. From an experimental archaeologic point of view pur conclusion was that .....burp!
Also we noted that the thing is highly efficient in consume. We just used like 6 kg of wood and we had it working for nearly 36 hours almost non stop

We also used the clibanus but I cant find pictures

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I had just the time to see your one more carefully. I like the handle. I also thought of putying some in mine. I also like the black patina. Mine is just natural patina of the steel.
WOW you have done yourself proud there, looks yummy   Tongue  and a sturdy piece of kit. The black paint is high temperature 650' as we are in Brittania being so sunny  Huh and when it rains it would just rust when not in use as we still put it on display. I also left holes in the corners to drain water out. The handle was just so you did not need to carry it around with two hands and having soot and grease all over them. Otherwise brillant work Leonardo  Smile
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
I can't believe it. We thought the same. You did holes I left the walls 2mm over the floor to let water run