Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Saw reconstruction
Tony very nice cuts a treat!...

A few observations on the original:

In Curle the overall length is given as 5 1/2", but I think this is a bit short and should be nearer 6" or 15cm, if you compare it with the shears above it in the pic which are 7 1/4" or 18.5cm long.
The Handle is deer Antler hence the bend and knobbly bit on the end.

Assuming the above measurements is correct the handle is only @2cm thick and 6cm before the blade starts in the handle.
I would think this was intended as a bone/horn saw for small work originally, possibly for the manufacture of combs or similar but thats just a guess... 

a better pic I think from NMS:

http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/results....ion%22+saw

I thought you may be interested in this. unfortunatly I dont yet know the size:

this image from "Notes on Prehistoric iron in the old World, Coghlan"

Originally from "Die Alterthümer unserer heidnischen Vorzeit 5. 1911, Lindenschmit"
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Ivor brillant as ever with your ability to put your finger on the right document  Smile But one thing I would say is ARRRRRRRRRRR last night admiring the piece I thought the handle had a antler like look  Blush I would not care I have plenty antler could have saved me 5 hours work on the handle  Angry But any way seeing the origonal in the photo I still think the blade has broken and refitted to the handle, interesting your thought that it may have been used on bone/horn so I will give it a go, I have found anything from 14 tpi upwards is best to work on bone especially, the origonal blade  is running at 5 tpi. The finer teeth on the top would do it though thanks once again Ivor  Wink
Regards Brennivs  Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
My guess has more to do with the size rather then the number of teeth, normally I'd use a small saw with a lot of tpi as well but it may work for cutting thicker bone or horn rather then something like comb teeth... totally agree on the re-used blade a fragment of a frame saw blade in the BM from Hod-Hill has about the same width which looks like it was part of a Carpenters? tool kit!...

Theres quite a few frame saw blades on Artefacts as well:

Frame saw blades Artefacts

A model frame saw BM sometimes you find these as brooches

Makes me think of the two saw blades though from the old London Museum cat, I dont know where these are now maybe the Museum of London?:

Theres no measurements given but from the look of it a similer size or a bit bigger then the Newstead saw... one at least may have been made by altering a knife?
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
WOW again Ivor thanks again for your input. You do come up with some gems. I do like the variation  in bow blades, some look so modern.  Still need to finish then a good test thanks again Ivor  Smile
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Not tested but finished  Smile

Final finish on the handle and a coating of oil. Also photo of the tool box, made it a bit bigger as a few more tools need to be made  Smile  
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Tried the saw on bone, well it did the job great. Slight chipping alone the edge when cut by the larger teeth (B) the fine teeth great (F),  cutting with the saw upside down did work just a different grip needed  Smile

As you can see nice clean cut  Wink
Regards Brennivs  Big Grinm
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
(06-25-2017, 06:55 PM)brennivs - tony drake Wrote: I am going to make 2 types of saw one looks like it was a tenon type the other has a handle, I am useing a donor saw to make them from as I don't have any steel good enough for the job as I want them to be fully working. The tenon saw is in the
 St Germain museum, the other only states Wessex archeology both are drawings. I will post soon.

We've got a saw from Waddon Hill; see picture.  This is before it was cleaned up by the conservators, I can take a photo of it now, if that helps.  
Save
Save
Save
Thank you very much Sue Smile  yes I would like to see a picture of the saw. The amount of variation in blade types helps me understand what saws were capable of doing and which trade they could be used for. Looking forward to seeing it cheers.
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs

(09-13-2017, 08:52 PM)brennivs - tony drake Wrote: Thank you very much Sue Smile  yes I would like to see a picture of the saw. The amount of variation in blade types helps me understand what saws were capable of doing and which trade they could be used for. Looking forward to seeing it cheers.

I hope I've managed to attach the pictures properly.  The number refers to the museum accession number, the letter is simply to distinguish between different views. 
Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Save

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Wow again thank you Sue  Smile  and very different. If you can what size is the blade ? I have a feeling it is of a veneer type.
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs

(09-15-2017, 05:13 AM)brennivs - tony drake Wrote: Wow again thank you Sue  Smile  and very different. If you can what size is the blade ? I have a feeling it is of a veneer type.

Well whoever took the old picture only had a 6" ruler!
Save
Save
Thank you very much Sue  Smile a 6" ruler will do fine. The teeth are on the heavy side and very interesting. Thanks once again.
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs