Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Niedermörmter helmet reconstruction
Jeffrey and I discussed the reproduction helmet with the Niederbieber cheekpieces mentioned above with a thought of adding similar cheekpieces. In fact that's what I ordered at first. Yup Evan, that's a very cool looking helmet.

Unless there is a third custom version of this helmet out there - this is it.

[Image: 35520730696_493c295be0_n.jpg]

After much research Jeff made a strong argument in favor of the cheek pieces you see now. I'll let him make that argument when he has time. What I like about working with Jeffrey is that if I chose to get the Niederbieber cheekpieces he would have made it just as good. I listened to his reasoning and it made more sense than simply looking cool so as I wanted to have what is most likely the original style of cheekpieces for this helmet, perhaps the last version of its type, I asked him to add what you see. Now, as we all know cheekpieces were replaced and Roman helmets were sometimes retrofitted with the latest ideas of head protection, so I may in the future ask him make me a set of cheekpieces more similar to the Niederbieber than the traditional Weisenau types.

Here's a Niederbieber with a cheekpiece more like mine that we used as a guide.

[Image: 35429705631_72699b61cb.jpg]

I'm not saying we are 100% certain and everyone else is wrong, only that for us it made sense and there is room for alternate views on the subject.

Here's the helmet making it's debut at the Penn Museum of Archaeology.

[Image: 35392183972_79abfb11fb.jpg]

And unless a person acts like an idiot, generally anyone can try it on for size.

[Image: 35392184202_966b7e66bd.jpg]

Some wore it for quite a while.

[Image: 35392184272_77b0947ff8.jpg]

I'd say about 200 heads have tried it on so far as I received it late in the school year and yes, some thought it a bit heavy.
Joe Balmos

Messages In This Thread
RE: Niedermörmter helmet reconstruction - by Creon01 - 06-27-2017, 03:02 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  reconstruction of Gallic G helmet Manius Acilius Italicus 26 6,109 03-15-2013, 09:47 PM
Last Post: Manius Acilius Italicus