Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Secret Name of Rome
After reading JMRobert's "Tribune's Curse", I thought that the secret name was lost. It seems there are several theories on this. I found two possibilities:<br>
<br>
"It is probable, therefore, that <em>Hirpa</em>, or some variant thereof, was the secret name of the goddess and of the city over which she spread her protection."<br>
<br>
"The alphabet has evolved since that time, and converted to the modern form, the word is <em>Evouia</em>. Plato translates this word for us as life."<br>
<br>
There is also a book by Stephen M.Wheeler, Classics Professor at Pen State U., to be titled "In the Name of Rome" - described as "A book on etymological discourse involving the name of Rome, amor/Roma wordplay, secret name of Rome, identity of Rome."<br>
<br>
Any other ideas on this name?<br>
<p>Legio XX<br>
Caupona Asellinae</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Another name that I came across a number of years ago was <em>Valentia</em>. I do not recall the name of the book, but it was a social historical work rather than fiction. I'm sure it is still in my library, but that doesn't mean I'll find it soon. The reason it stuck in my mind was that it was not the usual <em>Amor</em>, which always struck me as a bit too obvious, and that <em>Valentia</em> isn't much more arcane.<br>
<br>
Thank you for two more to add to my list.<br>
<br>
Ericius. <p></p><i></i>
Salve Ericius. A Roman historian? <p>Legio XX<br>
Caupona Asellinae</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?