Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Average height of a Roman fortlet in Britain
Hi, 

I'm wondering if anyone knows where someone has recorded the 'average' height of a Roman fortlet in Britain (Scotland specifically), or some information on the ranges to which they were built?

I'm asking as I'm currently creating a model that uses visibility, as so I need to know the height that the observer would be at.

Also, if anyone knows any good books that cover fortlets that'd be appreciated!

Thanks.
Hi

Rebecca H. Jones has published three books dealing with Roman camps in Scotland, Wales and the Marches and Britain. So all three should have something of interest in them. They are easy to find on Amazon.

However no camp or fortlet survives to their original height. So reconstructing the original height and appearance usually comes down to educated guesswork. In stone structures this can be worked out if any steps survive and this has been done for instance with the turrets and ramparts on Hadrian's wall. There are also some surviving stone walls at or near original height such as the wall around the Praetorian camp in Rome which can be used as a guide. With an earth and timber defence this is a bit more difficult and at the Lunt timber fort reconstruction near Coventry I believe the angle of the surviving rampart was used to guess the original height. This is often also done with comparisons of ancient depictions of the structures like those shown on Trajan's column for example. However ancient art is generally viewed with caution.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
have you taken a look at the reconstruction at Pohl, gives some good clues I think;

www.flickr.com/photos/carolemage/8113004059/in/photostream/

for scaling the red interior pedestrian rail is probably 1100mm.

http://www.limeskastell-pohl.de/
That's a very impressive reconstruction. Not seen that one before.
A few years ago I attempted to sketch a reconstruction of the Westerton Gask Limes based on the excavation report. As Graham said, there is no way to know exactly how high they were.

The pic and the report are in this thread.

http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/thread-20720.html
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When was Roman army at the height of its power? Mrbsct 34 7,213 12-14-2013, 08:48 AM
Last Post: Justin I
  How much could an average Roman soldier carry? TheMexican1821 9 3,044 09-19-2012, 11:11 AM
Last Post: TheMexican1821
  CASTLESHAW ROMAN FORT-FORTLET Graham Sumner 1 1,541 07-25-2012, 09:47 PM
Last Post: jvrjenivs