Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battle Orders \"Roman Sparta\" sword
Don't worry, John, I have found a butcher who will take care of the "grimy stuff", but not all will, so in the beginning and before you find an accommodating butcher you may be able to use those tips. Due to legal requirements, all butchering here in the Netherlands is done at the slaughterhouse, so you actually have to get a butcher to order you that part of the cow in the raw and then be willing to pre-process it.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
I have a John Barnett Sparta sword. I am a bit unsure after reading this exactly what it is about the sword that is not authentic. Is it the grip? Hilt fittings? Scabbard?

I think the sword is very nice to look at but not sure what isn't correct in it's design. The blade is very nicely finished. It's supposedly EN45 spring steel hardened and tempered. I wouldn't dare want to try and alter that. I would screw it up royally and the finish would never be the same.

I guess overall I'm not sure what is correct on many swords as what I've seen from actual finds shows a massive variation on styles depending on the period and/or personal style and preference. I don't think I've ever seen any two that were identical.

Jim
(11-30-2011, 04:24 PM)Robert Wrote: Don't worry, John, I have found a butcher who will take care of the "grimy stuff", but not all will, so in the beginning and before you find an accommodating butcher you may be able to use those tips. Due to legal requirements, all butchering here in the Netherlands is done at the slaughterhouse, so you actually have to get a butcher to order you that part of the cow in the raw and then be willing to pre-process it.

Try putting your raw bone in a good sized Ant Hill, when walking in the woods the other day we came across a couple of massive ones and my wife commented that they used to pickle eggs by putting them in anthills when she a girl, it occured to me it would be a good solution to the problem of cleaning raw bones....
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867