Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Roman Exhibit at the Smithsonian
Sounds kind of cool:<br>
<br>
In Stabiano: Excavating an Ancient Roman Resort exhibition opens. A selection from among the most significant Stabian archaeological finds from the Roman residential villas of the Vesuvian region. As in the other Vesuvian centers of Pompeii and Herculaneum, life was suddenly interrupted following the August 24, 79 A.D. Vesuvian eruption. Through Oct. 24, 1st floor, Special Exhibitions Gallery.<br>
<br>
At the National Museum of Natural History on the Mall in DC. Sorry, we can't go in rig as we'd get pinged going through the x-ray machines.<br>
<br>
Deb <p></p><i></i>
----------
Deb
Sulpicia Lepdinia
Legio XX
Wonderful! sounds like a field trip ASAP. I'll take photos and post them. <p>Legio XX<br>
Caupona Asellinae</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
oops..showed up, turned on the digital cam and drat, no memory stick.<br>
The exhibit is sponsored by the folks who want to turn Stabiae into an archaeological park. Not a huge exhibit, but they have shipped some of the most famous frescoes: the Flora for example. They have also set up an entire triclinium. Some of the most unusual (for me) were the frescoes carved or formed into 3d reliefs.<br>
There were a few glass, pottery and metal house articles, and some smaller sculpture. There were also two computer animations of a villa and the town of Pompeii, with walkthroughs of the town. Impressive as these are, the state of pc graphics has gone beyond this quite a bit even since it was made, so this will be quite do-able for home hopefully.<br>
<br>
Definitely worth the trip. Trinkets for sale in the Smithsonian's gift shop include the exhibition catalog, mug, tshirt, and print reproductions of several of the frescoes.<br>
A bonus is the availability of several books on Pompeii and the area that aren't normally available through the bookstores, so you can browse those as well.<br>
<br>
<p>Legio XX<br>
Caupona Asellinae</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p088.ezboard.com/bromancivtalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=richsc>Richsc</A> at: 5/7/04 8:36 pm<br></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An \"Ikea\" for Roman Furniture (Museum Exhibit Julilla 2 2,299 08-18-2011, 11:24 AM
Last Post: agrimensor