Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Roman Exhibit at the Smithsonian
oops..showed up, turned on the digital cam and drat, no memory stick.<br>
The exhibit is sponsored by the folks who want to turn Stabiae into an archaeological park. Not a huge exhibit, but they have shipped some of the most famous frescoes: the Flora for example. They have also set up an entire triclinium. Some of the most unusual (for me) were the frescoes carved or formed into 3d reliefs.<br>
There were a few glass, pottery and metal house articles, and some smaller sculpture. There were also two computer animations of a villa and the town of Pompeii, with walkthroughs of the town. Impressive as these are, the state of pc graphics has gone beyond this quite a bit even since it was made, so this will be quite do-able for home hopefully.<br>
<br>
Definitely worth the trip. Trinkets for sale in the Smithsonian's gift shop include the exhibition catalog, mug, tshirt, and print reproductions of several of the frescoes.<br>
A bonus is the availability of several books on Pompeii and the area that aren't normally available through the bookstores, so you can browse those as well.<br>
<br>
<p>Legio XX<br>
Caupona Asellinae</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p088.ezboard.com/bromancivtalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=richsc>Richsc</A> at: 5/7/04 8:36 pm<br></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?

Messages In This Thread
Re: New Roman Exhibit at the Smithsonian - by richard - 05-07-2004, 06:35 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An \"Ikea\" for Roman Furniture (Museum Exhibit Julilla 2 2,383 08-18-2011, 11:24 AM
Last Post: agrimensor