Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Contubernium, centuria and manipulus
We know that the contubernium was the group of 8 soldiers who slept under the same tent. I have generaly assumed that the contubernales were all from the same centuria, but I never came across a source that states that clearly, so maybe the men of the same contubernium could have been both from the centuria prior and the centuria posterior of the same cohort. 
Of course this is just an assumption, but I wonder if some ancient source could give me some more informations about the actual composition of a contubernium.
Francesco Guidi
(01-07-2019, 02:36 PM)Cesco Wrote: I have generaly assumed that the contubernales were all from the same centuria, but I never came across a source that states that clearly

The 8-man 'tent group' is found in (Pseudo)-Hyginus's De Munitionibus Castrorum:

Papilio unus occupat pedes X... tegit homines VIII. Plena centuria habet milites LXXX: erunt papiliones X

which means something like: "One tent occupies 10 feet... and holds 8 men. A full century has 80 men, therefore ten tents"

This certainly implies that the 8-man group is part of the 80-man century!

Note that Hyginus does not call the tent group a contubernium here.

(01-07-2019, 02:36 PM)Cesco Wrote: I wonder if some ancient source could give me some more informations about the actual composition of a contubernium.

Hyginus probably dates from some time in the 2nd Century AD. Vegetius says that the centuries were divided into contubernia of 10 men each, and each contubernium shared a tent under the charge of a soldier called the decanus, or caput contubernii; he also mentions that these 10-man contubernia were called maniples. He goes on to say that the full century comprised 110 men (10x10, plus 10 decani) under a centurion. (Vegetius, Epitoma, II, 13-14)

Some historians have assumed that Vegetius, writing in the late 4th or even early 5th century, was mistaken in his numbers. But his estimates have some support - the biography of Pescennius Niger in the Historia Augusta (itself probably late 4th century) mentions that ten commanipulones had shared a stolen chicken and had been punished for it - implying that ten (or eleven, including the thief?) comprised a tent party. The 6th-century Strategikon also refers to a contubernium as a dekarchy or group of ten.

An inscription from Perge, dated to c.AD500, gives figures for a military unit that can be reconstructed to suggest centuries of 110 men, divided into subunits of 11 - although this is very hypothetical, it might give some support to Vegetius's claims.
Nathan Ross
A few years ago, I offered a breakdown of Vegetius' numbers for the legion:

https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/showth...#pid311753

A few posts later in the same thread, I did the same for Hyginus:

https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/showth...#pid311836

In both cases, I took  the decanus to be additional to the 100 or 80 men in the contubernium and the figures worked out quite nicely.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
CGL Vol. 5

Placidvs 5.54

Centurias dicimus partes exercitus in centenos milites diuisos unde et qui his presunt centuriones dicuntur ergo succenturiati sunt non qui in prima sed qui in secunda centuria sunt quasi sub prima centuria tamen structi etiam ipsi in speculis positi in bello sunt ut si primi defecerint isti quos subesse diximus laborantibus primis subueniant unde et ad insidiandum ponitur succenturiatos quasi armis dolosis instructos.

https://archive.org/details/corpusglossa...ft/page/54
(01-08-2019, 06:41 PM)Julian de Vries Wrote: CGL Vol. 5

Placidvs 5.54

Centurias dicimus partes exercitus in centenos milites diuisos unde et qui his presunt centuriones dicuntur ergo succenturiati sunt non qui in prima sed qui in secunda centuria sunt quasi sub prima centuria tamen structi etiam ipsi in speculis positi in bello sunt ut si primi defecerint isti quos subesse diximus laborantibus primis subueniant unde et ad insidiandum ponitur succenturiatos quasi armis dolosis instructos.

https://archive.org/details/corpusglossa...ft/page/54

Happily translated by Google into this perfect English for poor barbarians such as myself:

"Companies we say that the parts of an army in the hundreds, the soldiers, bands, wherefore he that is his charge of the captains of hundreds are said to be, therefore, the suprarenal, not to them that are in the first, but one who in the second century as it were, under the first century, however, built also themselves in the mirrors, if set in the war with a nature that if the first should fail men whom you are to be subject to we have said, from which the subsidiary, as it were, and to watch his opportunity is placed with the working firsts with arms full of guile, they relieve their formation."
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Centurias centuries
dicimus   relate
partes    part
exercitus  a disciplined body of men
in   into
centenos   hundred
milites    soldiers
diuisos   divide
unde whence
et   and
qui   who
his here
Presunt (praesunt)   be set over, have charge of
centuriones   centurions
dicuntur  affirm
ergo  consequence
succenturiati to receive as a recruit into a centuria
sunt are
non  not
qui   In what manner, whereby, some body, any thing
in   in
prima   first
sed   on the contrary
qui   In what manner, whereby, some body, any thing
in    in
secunda   second
centuria   century
sunt   are
quasi   Just as if, though
sub   under, behind
prima    first
centuria    century
tamen    nevertheless
structi    arrange
etiam   still, even now
ipsi      self
in       in
speculis  Watchtower, a look-out
positi    place, set
in     in
bello   war
sunt   are
ut     Where, that, so that
si    If,when
primi    first
defecerint    withdraw
isti     this, that, he, she
quos   anybody
subesse   To be under, be behind
diximus   Assert, state, say, speak
laborantibus   To labor, endeavor, exert, strive
primis    first
subueniant   To assist, reinforce, relieve
unde  Whence, from which place
et and
at   but
insidiandum    to lie in ambush, lie in wait for
ponitur   placed
succenturiatos    recruits
quasi    Just as if, as though, sort of
armis Arms, instruments
dolosis   cunning
instructos Build, instructed

Translation:

It is related: centuries are a part of the army and divided into a hundred soldiers. Centurions are in charge of them.
Consequently it is related: recruits are not in the first (centuria) but on the contrary in the second centuria. Behind the first century they arrange themselves in a look-out position in war. So that when the first (centuria) withdraw, those that are behind them, can assert to endeavor to assist the first (centuria). Whence from the place where the recruits were placed to lie in wait for (the second centuria), in this sort of way the recruits are cunningly instructed (trained) in their military instruments.

Commentary:

This text seems to be full of allusions and even even a professional Latin translator will probably struggle, especially if he has no understanding of the Roman Army.

“Prima; secunda centuria”: the text speaks about two types of century, the first and second, these can, in my opinion, be equated with the prior and posterior centuries in the legion.

“Succenturiati”: This text says that the recruits (as I have translated, Succenturiati can also be translated as: “to put in the place of another, receive as a substitute”) are never placed in the front of the battle-line. This is very interesting comparing this to the Miles Marianus who as tiro was more forward then the veterans.

“in speculis positi in bello”: One can say placed in an observational standpoint in the battle, or this is an allusion to a special army formation called the “turres” or tower.

See: Gell. NA 10.9.1: Quibus modis quoque habitu acies Romana instrui solita sit; quaeque earum
instructionum sint vocabula. I. Vocabula sunt militaria, quibus instructa certo modo acies appellari solet: frons, subsidia, cuneus, orbis, globus, forfices, serra, alae, turres

“subveniant” if it is translated as assist or reinforce, it seems to be understood as to back up as in a hoplite phalanx, or perhaps throwing pila and other missiles over in support. If subveniant is translated as relieve, then the text speaks about the doctrine of line replacement.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did the contubernium really have two extra men musterion 3 1,336 05-02-2018, 11:42 AM
Last Post: Renatus
  How to sleep in a contubernium Jori 72 10,941 09-08-2013, 05:43 AM
Last Post: Mark Graef
  Contubernium - Exactly How Many? Mithras 29 7,145 05-09-2006, 08:18 AM
Last Post: adamparsons