Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legionary Equipment During Reign of Marcus Aurelius
Thanks Nathan. I actually purchased the book and read the section detailing the middle empire. Fascinating read. So it appears 70% of the blades were of the short-sword variety in the first century, through early 2nd. During the mid to late 2nd century, 50% were of the short-intermediate variety, and about 15% were longer spatha. So I wonder if infantry began to use the longer spatha as their main sidearm sword and if so what kind of baldric and scabbard were used? Perhaps at this time the 3rd century styles were starting to take root? Did those 15% wear their swords on the left? Interesting questions. One thing is clear, the equipment of legionary of the middle to the end of the second century were NOT inferior to earlier periods (sword smithing techniques and sword quality, lorica segmentata newstead, Imperial Italic G and H helmets, semi-rigid lorica squamata, chestplate hamata bindings, etc), and arguably were superior. Also there appears to have been much variation in how the blades were formed. During the Antonine Period, blades were tapering, some were of the Pompeii gladius mold, etc. It appears that the ring pommel sword gained prominence during this period, but quickly faded after the Antonine period. However, "traditional" Roman type grips and pommels continued during this period (I.e. ring pommel swords were not exclusively used).
RussĀ 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Legionary Equipment During Reign of Marcus Aurelius - by Valerian - 04-06-2018, 01:50 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Higher officer helmets during the reign of Marcus Aurelius and Commodus Corvus 2 588 10-21-2021, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Corvus
  equestrian statue of marcus aurelius 174 A.D. fattkid08 4 6,115 11-01-2015, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Vindex
  Marcus Aurelius in Asia Logarythmus 4 2,621 07-22-2015, 12:15 PM
Last Post: Logarythmus