Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mannequins
Hi

I have only ever seen grainy black and white images of a couple of mannequins and assumed they were old models made in the 1930's or even earlier.

However online there appears a small colour image which appears to show them on display somewhere.

Does anyone have any further details as to where they are and when they may have been made.

Graham.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
I believe they are exhibited in the Ruestkammer or armoury of the castle of Marksburg, near Braubach on the Rhine in Germany:

http://karenivy.net/2012/10/15/marksburg/
Patrick J. Gray

'' Now. Close your eyes. It's but a short step to the boat, a short pull across the river.''
''And then?''
''And then, I promise you, you'll dream a different story altogether''

From ''I, Claudius'', by J. Pulman after R. Graves.
Thanks for that Patrick.

There are more colour images available. Looking at one it suggests the legionary has had a slight makeover... perhaps.

Graham.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
For better or for worse? I am no expert on matters military but the breeches (are they new, or just more visible when the cloak is removed?) surprised me.

I know that the God Augustus wore FEMINALIA and TIBIALIA in winter, (Suet. Vit. Div. Aug. 80 through 82) but

A. The garment described on the Internet as the FEMINALIA (soldier's breeches) is not the garment alluded to by Suetonius. Cf. Private Life of the Romans:
Besides the subligāculum and the tunica the Romans had no regular underwear. Those who were feeble through age or ill health sometimes wound strips of woolen cloth (fasciae), like the modern spiral puttees, around the legs for the sake of additional warmth. These were called feminālia or tībiālia according as they covered the upper or lower part of the leg. Feeble persons might also use similar wrappings for the body (ventrālia) and even for the throat (fōcālia), but all these were looked upon as badges of senility or decrepitude and formed no part of the regular costume of sound men.

B. As made extremely clear by the above, but also by internal evidence, the force of these passages is that the Emperor was an invalid, or at best in very weak health, and Suetonius associates them with four tunics, a heavy toga, an under-tunic (SVBVCVLA) and a THORAX LANEUS, which Loeb renders as ''a woollen chest protector''. This is hardly to be taken as the normal winter dress of an Augustan Roman, especially as Suetonius also describes Augustus as likewise highly sensitive to heat [and so to all extremes of temperature].

I was under the impression that garments in any way akin to BRACCAE were introduced much later than ''um Christi Geburt'', (i.e. around the birth of Jesus the Nazarene, called Christ) as late as the second century C.E. -- there are many military scholars on this forum who can sort me out.
Patrick J. Gray

'' Now. Close your eyes. It's but a short step to the boat, a short pull across the river.''
''And then?''

Hello Patrick

My observation was more basic than that. In the second photo the tunic is blue in the first it is red. I wonder what came first. Now if you have followed this Forum for any while you will know that topic is of great concern!

I wonder if this is the place to start a thread on the history of such figures, if anyone else is interested. I can start by posting other photos of Roman mannequins I saw last year in Germany.

No, I am a ''novvs homo'' here. I did look up tunic colour, quite the Gordian knot, in fact, -- especially as there seems to be some form of regrettable disagreement between two reenactment groups, which may, if you will forgive the execrable excuse for a joke, colour opinion. ''Arma cedant togae, concedat lavrea lavdis'', if only as then you can all wear white with the appropriate clavi or lack of them! In case I am taken seriously, this is a joke! It is a joy to see the legionaries, auxiliaries, hoplites and other soldiers of the greatest of all times represented -- keep up the good work.

I think a thread on the history of Roman mannequins would be most interesting.
Patrick J. Gray

''And then?''