Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Logistics of an Roman Legion
Hi guys,

Does anyone know if there are books about the logistics efforts of an Roman Legion. How did they feed all those peoples? How did they get everything they need at the camp site etc. Was there maybe an logistic unit inside the Legion that supervised all of this?  I can imagine it would be an enormous logistic effort to provide everything the Legion needed to be fully operating. And if not about the Legion then maybe more information on the logistics within an empire?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Jasper Westerhuis
(01-15-2018, 10:44 AM)legionarioHerman Wrote: Does anyone know if there are books about the logistics efforts of an Roman Legion.

Yes there are!

Roth - The Logistics of the Roman Army at War: 264 B.C. - A.D. 235
Nathan Ross
Nathan's recommendations is an excellent source of information.
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)
Thank you very much! I've been looking a long time for this so this made my day.
Jasper Westerhuis
Extremely interesting when you see all the quantities needed. no wonder that they only moved small armies later. Thinking about <Caesar and the way he moved one can really wonder.
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
Indeed, thats why i'm fascinated about this. I'm working in logistics and to imagine all the administration, right quantities, food etc etc it's amazing to think about the fact that Caesar moved so many troops so fast in enemy territory, sometimes it seems even impossible. Or the Roman legions in the teutoburg forest. Their column should have been miles long and maybe you realised you were attacked when you were the last man standing. I've read an autobiograph of Augustus where there was an letter from him request aid from Cleopatra and to see the amount of supplies that were needed by Augustus i've really liked to go back in time and watch this enormous logistics project.

Anyway thanks for the information, i've ordered the book online and can't wait to start reading it.
Jasper Westerhuis
Hello,

Other interesting works on logistics are mentioned in this thread.

Greetings,
Alexandr
(01-15-2018, 10:44 AM)legionarioHermanus Wrote: Hi guys,

Does anyone know if there are books about the logistics efforts of an Roman Legion. How did they feed all those peoples? How did they get everything they need at the camp site etc. Was there maybe an logistic unit inside the Legion that supervised all of this?  I can imagine it would be an enormous logistic effort to provide everything the Legion needed to be fully operating. And if not about the Legion then maybe more information on the logistics within an empire?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Here's an online source:
http://www.legioxxirapax.com/zasoby/The_...235AD).pdf
Roger
(01-15-2018, 12:24 PM)Nathan Ross Wrote:
(01-15-2018, 10:44 AM)legionarioHerman Wrote: Does anyone know if there are books about the logistics efforts of an Roman Legion.

Yes there are!

Roth - The Logistics of the Roman Army at War: 264 B.C. - A.D. 235
Added to my list of books to take, thanks Smile
- CaesarAugustus
www.romanempire.cloud
(Marco Parente)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Logistics Roman Army arklore70 7 2,285 09-18-2012, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vindex