Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saint Patrick & Names along the Antonine wall
For information, I've come across more evidence and have updated the article: http://roman-britain.co.uk/nemthur.htm

The main changes are these:
1. Far from Patrick use of Latin terms showing that Patrick was born in Roman Britain, he himself says that Latin is a "foreign language" and those that critique it call it "barbarous". So, the linguistic evidence shows Patrick WAS NOT born in Latin speaking Roman Britain.
2. The location where Patrick was born (Nemthur) is recorded in the black book of Carmarthen as the fortress of "Neutur" which is clearly a close match to "Notyr" which is contained in the older forms of the local place name "Dalnotter".

I've also had a chance to check the other "contender" sites and they are laughable:

Ravenglass is based only on the linguistic similarity between "Banavem Taberniae" and "Glannibanta" (given in their original forms), the identification of Banwen rests solely on a man who says "when I was eight my grandfather said Patrick was born in this field".
Oh the grand oh Duke Suetonius, he had a Roman legion, he galloped rushed down to (a minor settlement called) Londinium then he galloped rushed back again. Londinium Bridge is falling down, falling down ... HOLD IT ... change of plans, we're leaving the bridge for Boudica and galloping rushing north.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Saint Patrick & Names along the Antonine wall - by MonsGraupius - 09-14-2018, 02:47 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Antonine Wall Eleatic Guest 2 1,062 04-10-2020, 10:46 AM
Last Post: Eleatic Guest
  Antonine Wall colours on sculptures Densus 1 1,009 04-21-2018, 12:37 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell
  Garisons of the Antonine Wall Jordanicus 1 1,243 10-28-2013, 11:03 AM
Last Post: D B Campbell