Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dux Syriae
Ave Civitas,

Still working on details for my novel.  Now I have a question about the Duke of Syria.

Where would he have been headquartered in AD 393?

The ND doesn't list a place for the headquarters.

If there is no know location for the Duke's headquarters, then I could put him anywhere I want, but I do not want to violate history and have him in Antiochia when he wasn't.

Again, thanks for your help in advance.

Tom
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)
(09-21-2018, 12:21 AM)Lothia Wrote: Where would he have been headquartered in AD 393?

According to the passio of SS Sergius and Bacchus, which supposedly dates from the persecution of either Diocletian or Julian, but which was recorded in the later 4th century and probably has details from that era, the Dux Syriae et Euphratensis had his headquarters at Barbalissos.

Antioch was the base of the Comes Orientis, the Consularis Syriae, the Praetorian Prefect and court of the east, and the Magister Equitum per Orientum.

(all these details are from Liebeschuetz (1972), Antioch: city and imperial administration in the later Roman Empire.)
Nathan Ross
Nathan,

Thanks for the quick reply. Looked for the book. Much too expensive for my library. Put in an inter-library loan request.

Tom
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)