Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panoply in the Roman Republic
Interesting read, thank you.

- Is the belief in a fair variation between the actual panoply worn by the earlier Republican soldiers (given they are responsible for bringing/purchasing their own kit) supported by the evidence, or more an assumption of the circumstances?  Would it perhaps be likely that equipment was produced to a somewhat standardised 'pattern'?

- Is there a tiny mis-type for the dimensions of a 'standard' scutum - "120cm x 65cm" - instead of, perhaps, '120cm x 75cm'; which better approximates Polybius' 4ft x 2.5ft?

- I'm not sure the short passage on 'Scots, Uhlans and Zouaves' actually adds anything and is, perhaps, not entirely relevant nor accurate.  British armies contained 'Scots' in their kilts - because they were troops raised from the Scottish Highlands who traditionally wore the kilt.  That the British Lancers of the 19th Century were directly modelled on the French Napoloeonic Lancers - the first unit of which were directly recruited from Polish troops (Uhlans).  And finally, particularly with the 'Zouaves', this is much more a trend of 'fashion' that was prevalent with units that were raised and, moreover, funded by individuals out to make a statement.  If ever a more useless item of military apparel than the pelisse (whilst almost universally adopted across Europe to equip Hussars) existed, then I'd certainly be curious!

- And I do have to ask - even though I've looked through the last 50 pages since I went into hiding - the majority are still happy with the idea of the Romans fighting in 'open order'?  I've no wish to re-hash old threads, but still remain sceptical in the extreme.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Panoply in the Roman Republic - by Bryan - 10-18-2018, 06:57 PM
RE: Panoply in the Roman Republic - by Mark Hygate - 11-07-2018, 04:07 PM