Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panoply in the Roman Republic
Hi Mark,

yeah, "sympathetic magic" might be a bit strong, but we all know someone who declared they were going to start long-distance bike races to get fit, and immediately bought a streamlined suit like they wear in the Tour de France when for a new cyclist, any old shorts and tight-fitting shirt should be fine.  The idea is that if you look like these people you admire, you will be like them, even if we talk about morale and "fake it 'til you make it" or geek out about the technical details of the new equipment where someone in another culture might talk about magic.  

I don't have time to check this forum every month, but maybe I will change my signature.  When I started my PhD program and my website, I wanted to make clear that my posts here were mostly from an earlier phase in my life, and break the habit of checking this forum regularly.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Panoply in the Roman Republic - by Bryan - 10-18-2018, 06:57 PM
RE: Panoply in the Roman Republic - by Sean Manning - 11-14-2018, 08:06 PM