Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman helmets: Imperial Gallic/Italic and Ridge - comparisons and sources
(10-05-2019, 10:47 AM)Condottiero Magno Wrote: Not how ridge helms and spangenhelms work...

Montefortino helmets were in use longer than Gallic types, so what's your point?

Spatha is just another name for a sword, just like gladius, and earlier gladii could be as long as spathae.
No? and how the ridge helms works? It is made by 2 or 4 parts, put togheter with a central ridge. The central ridge is the weak point, it is a matter of fact. In previous roman helmets, there was an additional ridge to reinforce, but it was not part of the main structure. So, it was an addition, not the weak point.

For the montefortino and the gladius... you have not understood the point. I have told you that the ridge helmet was already known by the romans, but not immediately adopted, as instead happened for the gladius, that immediately replaced other weapons as the main weapon of the legions. The romans well knew the ridge helmet, but they adopted it only late...

Why? it is not difficult to test an Imperial Italic H versus a ridge helmet. My interpretation is that it was adopted in the general process of organizational decay, but I would like to see some test on the field.
- CaesarAugustus
www.romanempire.cloud
(Marco Parente)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Roman helmets: Imperial Gallic/Italic and Ridge - comparisons and sources - by CaesarAugustus - 10-06-2019, 08:15 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Imperial Gallic J - Robinson's mistake? Konstantin Ankilov 6 2,427 01-24-2021, 12:44 PM
Last Post: Militarus
  Imperial Gallic I Moguntiacum Marc 3 1,889 07-16-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: drsrob
  Imperial Gallic D Helm Konstantin Ankilov 8 2,812 10-18-2017, 12:24 PM
Last Post: Konstantin Ankilov