Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Age of reenactors
Hello,

Are there many folks here that do military impressions who may not be super young anymore? There are a few portrayals I want to do but I am closing in on 50. Am I doing myself and the hobby a disservice by just being too darn old? 

Thoughts and opinions appreciated. 

Thank you
John Dos
I'm 57. Wink

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I'm 70. I portray a rich Athenian either left behind on the walls or guarding the baggage/rear/camp. I had no money to invest in this passion until near retirement.
Cheryl Boeckmann
Cool pictures!!!!
---John
John Dos
I'm 58!
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
I'm 46 years old. Damn, it looks like I'm still a child in your company Smile
Just a legionnaire.
Ergo bibamus!
Nikolai aka Manius Potator
(12-01-2021, 08:09 PM)Lusolad Wrote: Are there many folks here that do military impressions who may not be super young anymore? There are a few portrayals I want to do but I am closing in on 50. Am I doing myself and the hobby a disservice by just being too darn old? 

Thoughts and opinions appreciated. 

Thank you
Well, in the Greek world military age ended around 60! Romans tended to end it a bit earlier (Republican Roman life paths had a period of full-time military service for most free men from propertied families beginning at adulthood) but they could be called back to the standards in an emergency.

The idea that the ideal infantry soldier is about 18 or 20 years old seems to be a modern thing. The Athenians and Romans thought that 18 year olds were ideally given less demanding roles like guarding fortifications and running around screaming and throwing things. That probably says something about the difference between modern combat and ancient combat.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
I'm 55... seems like youngsters are not interested in reenactment anymore...
Nihil de his rebus scis, abi et cucurbitas describe...
Well, there is not an app for this...
Cheryl Boeckmann
Not exactly the app, but young thumbers might get interested in it in this way:
https://www.whatmobile.net/Apps/article/...-mythology

I like ancient times more and more because one can escape to times when there were no printer error messages or cell phones! :-)
What a world we have made for ourselves... <sigh> Glad I grew up when I did.. Pheew!

Qui sepeliunt capita sua in terra, deos volantes non videbunt.
--Flavius Flav