Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mainz trip (RAT gathering, 15-18 FEB 02)
So who wants to go and when?<br>
I'd say end of February and prefer end of the week+weekend. Let's say Thursday February 28 till Sunday March 3? <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/ujrscline.showPublicProfile?language=EN>JRSCline</A> at: 1/16/02 1:36:14 pm<br></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
A good proposal to me, even if I'm not sure whether I can join on Thursday already.<br>
<br>
Since my professor in Cologne has good contacts to the Mainz museums, maybe there's a chance to make prior appointment(s) to view some interesting things NOT on permanent display, for example those nice military diplomas the RGZM keeps buying (cf. Archäologisches Korrespondenzblatt No. 2 or 3/2001, if I remember correctly) or the world famous restoration workshops, where they maybe still work on a "nearly complete" <i> lorica segmentata</i> found in 2000 in Austria. BUT: I'm not able to make promises, it's only an idea at this time.<br>
<br>
Looking forward to meet you!<br>
<br>
Martin/Magister Navis <p></p><i></i>
Martin, are you working with Werner Eck? I've met with him in Cologne Uni; he's really very kind. Will be at the May London conference, by the way.<br>
<br>
I don't know how my February schedule is going to shape up, but it should probably be in mid-February to coincide with the federal holiday, if possible. That's my preference; otherwise, I might have problems wanting to take leave this soon to my last leave time.<br>
<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
Hi Jenny!<br>
<br>
No, I'm not working with Werner Eck at the IfA (Institut für Altertumskunde) of Cologne University, but with the not much less recognized Thomas Fischer (cf. "Who is who") at the Archaeological Institute there. I meet Prof. Eck from time to time when he visits or gives lectures at our institute - so, I know him (and he's a good man, most of the time), but I think he doesn't know me.<br>
<br>
Greetings,<br>
<br>
Martin/Magister Navis <p></p><i></i>
Well Jen, when's your federal holiday? <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
OK, all aboard for Mainz -- the best weekend for February will be 15-18 FEB. Does this work for everyone?<br>
<br>
J. <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
I see that reference to Prof Fisher, but I dont' have much other than his name. Do you know what university he's at at least?<br>
<br>
and yes, guilty conscience: I know I owe you the excel file Jen! <p>Aulus, Legio XX.
the High Noise, Low Signal person for RAT.
ICQ 940236
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
I'm up!<br>
<p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Think I can join the meeting in February, but can't promise at the moment.<br>
<br>
Which places are gonna be visited? Landesmuseum, RGZM, Museum für antike Schiffahrt, "Eichelstein" - and what else? I'll try to ask some people; maybe special arrangements will be possible (again, no promises!).<br>
<br>
Rich, Prof. Dr. Thomas Fischer is "my" professor at the University of Cologne ("Universität zu Köln") here in Germany, where he teaches and researches about the archaeology of the roman provinces ("Archäologie der römischen Provinzen"). His main fields of interest are the transition periods at the beginning and especially at the end of the roman era, the roman army and civilian life in the two German provinces, Raetia, and Noricum.<br>
<br>
He's the author of many scientific essays and monographs as well as of several popular or half-popular books like "Die Römer in Bayern"(parts), "Die Römer in Deutschland" or the first German introduction for the archaeology of the roman provinces (available in a few weeks). Bad for you: all his publications are in German only and he still refuses to use email...<br>
<br>
Visit our homepage at<br>
<br>
www.uni-koeln.de/phil-fak/ai<br>
<br>
and find out more about Prof. Fischer, his previous projects and the work of some of his students.<br>
<br>
Greetings,<br>
<br>
Martin/Magister Navis <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/umagisternavis.showPublicProfile?language=EN>Magister Navis</A> at: 1/12/02 7:06:45 pm<br></i>
Martin, since you are the only German amongst us and Mainz is part of your "stomping grounds," would you like to develop a plan for places to visit? Surely you know the area better than we do, so your judgment on what to see/do will be well-appreciated.<br>
<br>
Jasper, any lines on a decent B&B or hotel in the area, preferably within walking distance of rail line?<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
J. <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny

Checked on the net, hotels are very affordable, even in city centre.<br>
<br>
<p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
I would like to join you. no matter which week you will choose.<br>
Of course I'm greately interested in the austrian lorica. If Magister Navis can have some contacts..... could be great!<br>
Luca <p></p><i></i>
Luca Bonacina
Provincia Cisalpina - Mediolanum
www.cisalpina.net
Ooh-la-la, Luca, you are the cutest legionary on RAT!<br>
<br>
Sure, come join us, will you fly or ride a train? Looonnnnggg train ride from Italy, though.<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny

mmmmm thanks. :-)<br>
<br>
In case I will come with my motorcaravan. That is my second home. And I save a lot of money for the lodging.......<br>
ciao<br>
Luca <p></p><i></i>
Luca Bonacina
Provincia Cisalpina - Mediolanum
www.cisalpina.net
All right, then, we have the following participants in the Mainz expedition for 15-18 FEB:<br>
<br>
- me (Heidelberg, DE)<br>
- Jasper Oorthuys (Nijmegen, NL)<br>
- Sander van Dorst (Leiden, NL)<br>
- Martin AKA Magister Navis (Koeln, DE)<br>
- Luca (IT)<br>
<br>
Anyone else wish to join us? (didn't Frank AKA "safran" from Frankfurt say he would also like to go?)<br>
<br>
TASKS:<br>
<br>
1. reserve a rental car (actually, a minivan might be better)<br>
2. reserve a hotel in the Mainz area<br>
3. schedule a tour plan for Mainz sites and any other nearby sites which might be apropos (to include meeting local academics and private collectors)<br>
<br>
I suggest we divy up the tasks as follows:<br>
<br>
-Jasper to reserve the rental car<br>
-I will reserve the hotel<br>
-Martin to develop the tour plan since he has plenty of local contacts<br>
<br>
Jasper and I will go ahead and pay for the car and hotel, then divide the cost by as many ways as we have participants and collect monies owed for lodging and transport when we meet up in Mainz. Luca, evidently, will not need lodging since he's bringing his own. E EM If there's any open beds in Luca's RV, perhaps we might make a further savings.<br>
<br>
Luca, do you know where you can park your RV? I seem to recall a simply lovely RV park along the Rhine not far from Mainz; however, it looked very full as I drove by. One might need reservations in advance.<br>
<br>
Concur/non-concur on this plan? Anything I've missed?<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Jenny<br>
Resident travel agent <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/ujrscline.showPublicProfile?language=EN>JRSCline</A> at: 1/16/02 1:37:23 pm<br></i>
Cheers,
Jenny