Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Age question...
Hello,
I had a question. I am putting together a 5th c Romano British kit and had a question about age. I am closing in on fifty. In period you wouldnt have seen men of that age in active service would you? They would have probably been retired? Am I better off doing a more civilian portrayal? Perhaps more of a militia type persona?

Thoughts/opinions welcomed

Thank you,

John from Nova Britannia
John Dos
Hi John,

For one, during the 5th c. there would hardly be an official 'retirement policy' in Britain. All hands on deck to defend the home town, you would only retire after death!

But besides that, the regular Late Roman army knew a few centuriones in their fifties, but of course this was not the norm. I'm 54 and still going 'strong' LOL

Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
[Image: artgroepbutton.jpg]
Yep agree with Robert we are merely spring chickens at this age plenty of battles still left in us  Wink
Plenty of references to soldiers still serving well into there 60s and from the republic a general at 93  Huh  voted and approved by the senate took to the field, mentioned by Livy.
Regards Brennivs  Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Not Roman but Antigonus Monophthalmus (one eye) one of Alexanders generals died at the battle of Ipsus at the age of 82... so theres still plenty of time yet... I suspect that if you were fit and healthy and can carry your wieght and a veteran to boot that no one is going to object based on age...
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Oops just remembered to reply Ivor no he is Roman Lvcivs Qvinctivs Cincinnatvs b.519bc - d.430bc it was about 30 years ago I read about him so his history and age a bit mixed up in my memory Huh Consul  460bc then retired to his farm. Dictator 458bc against the Aequians. Then Dictator 439bc against Spurius Maelius,  Livy states he was in his 80s. Even if the last one was to suppress a plot within Rome he would have been called upon to deal with any war during the year.
Regards Brennivs  Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)