Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Centurions armor between I and II century AD: evidences
As the title suggests, I would like to collect evidences about armors used by centurions from the I century to the second. So, funeral monuments, other monuments, findings of which the period is certain and so on. So, starting around AD and finishing with Caracalla (AD 217).

- Marcus Caelius, killed at the Battle of Teutoburger Wald, 9 AD, Lorica musculata
[Image: 220px-Epitaph_des_Marcus_Caelius.JPG]

- Titus Calidius Severus, around I century, Lorica squamata
[Image: 400px-Grabstein_Titus_Calidius_Carnuntum.jpg]
- Sertorius Festus, around I century, Lorica squamata
[Image: 4146.jpg]

Which other examples do we have?
- CaesarAugustus
www.romanempire.cloud
(Marco Parente)
Most of those monuments show what the family wanted to show on their monument. The don't necessarily show what they wore in battle. There was a tradition of "heroism" and that involved traditional/classical motiffs rather than what was actually worn at the time. IMO these monuments show a disproportionate amount of musculatas for that reason.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
(11-14-2019, 09:44 PM)Dan Howard Wrote: Most of those monuments show what the family wanted to show on their monument. The don't necessarily show what they wore in battle. There was a tradition of "heroism" and that involved traditional/classical motiffs rather than what was actually worn at the time. IMO these monuments show a disproportionate amount of musculatas for that reason.
I have asked, obviously kindly, for evidences, therefore clearly attributable finds and monuments, not non-verifiable theses. Do you have real contributes?
- CaesarAugustus
www.romanempire.cloud
(Marco Parente)
None of them are valid because it is impossible to know whether the design was purely funerary or stylistic in nature or whether it depicts what was actually worn in battle. You need textual and archaeological evidence. There is no point asking for more pictorial evidence because it is useless unless it is corroborated by at least one of the other two.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
(11-16-2019, 11:29 AM)Dan Howard Wrote: None of them are valid because it is impossible to know whether the design was purely funerary or stylistic in nature or whether it depicts what was actually worn in battle. You need textual and archaeological evidence. There is no point asking for more pictorial evidence because it is useless unless it is corroborated by at least one of the other two.
Do you have evidences or not? If you don't have, please don't spam this topic. Thanks.
- CaesarAugustus
www.romanempire.cloud
(Marco Parente)
Just to go with what you have so far:

"Marcus Caelius, killed at the Battle of Teutoburger Wald, 9 AD, Lorica musculata"
Which has shoulder extensions to protect the upper arms similar to the Marcus Favonius Facilis a Centurion from Colchester. 
Clearly such an extension cannot be plate so cannot represent musculata, mail is a more likely option assuming the artist was trying to be specific.

"Titus Calidius Severus, around I century, Lorica squamata"
I wouldn't ague with that but it is a very simple representation if it is.

"Sertorius Festus, around I century, Lorica squamata"
For this you need to look at a much closer picture:

As you can be see the scales appear to be ridged this could suggest "Lorica Plumata" a hybrid Mail/scale armour thats well attested in the archaeological record:

from Artefacts search for "Lorica Plumata":

Occurences:
1 : Augsburg, Kornhausgasse [BY] (DE) (Droberjar, Peška 2002, Liste 2, p.138-140, n°4)
2 : Hebron (IL) (Droberjar, Peška 2002, Liste 2, p.138-140, n°5) not Hamata Squamata!
3 : Mandeure, Epomanduodurum [25] (FR), Besançon, Musée des Beaux-Arts et d'Archéologie, inv. 855.1.231 (Droberjar, Peška 2002, Liste 2, p.138-140, n°6)
4 : Newstead [Nottinghams.] (UK) (Droberjar, Peška 2002, Liste 2, p.138-140, n°2)
5 : Ouddorp, Gem. Gouderreede (NL) (Droberjar, Peška 2002, Liste 2, p.138-140, n°8)
6 : Roma, env (IT) (Droberjar, Peška 2002, Liste 2, p.138-140, n°1) 
7 - 8 : Usk, Fortress (UK) (Droberjar, Peška 2002, Liste 2, p.138-140, n°7, 8) (2 ex.)
9 : Vize (TR) (Droberjar, Peška 2002, Liste 2, p.138-140, n°3)

Publications:
"Lorica Hamata Squamataque A Study of Roman Hybrid Feathered Armour" Martijn A. Wijnhoven.

"Putting the Scale into mail, Roman Hybrid Feathered Armour" Martijn A. Wijnhoven.

An account is required to access the articles in the links provided.
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
(11-17-2019, 01:11 PM)Crispianus Wrote: Just to go with what you have so far:

"Marcus Caelius, killed at the Battle of Teutoburger Wald, 9 AD, Lorica musculata"
Which has shoulder extensions to protect the upper arms similar to the Marcus Favonius Facilis a Centurion from Colchester. 
Clearly such an extension cannot be plate so cannot represent musculata, mail is a more likely option assuming the artist was trying to be specific.

"Titus Calidius Severus, around I century, Lorica squamata"
I wouldn't ague with that but it is a very simple representation if it is.

"Sertorius Festus, around I century, Lorica squamata"
For this you need to look at a much closer picture:
About Marcus Caelius, it is clearly depicted a cuirass of which the edges are absolutely evident.
[Image: Epitaph_des_Marcus_Caelius.JPG]
The quality of the monument is really high and the torso is evident.

About Sertorius Festus, that is a plumata is an unsupported hypothesis, instead it is identical to another armor classified as scaled:
[Image: loricae_squamata02b.jpg]
This is coming from a Verona museum.

Other examples?
- CaesarAugustus
www.romanempire.cloud
(Marco Parente)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Praetorians and Lorica Segmentata: evidences CaesarAugustus 0 681 11-30-2019, 12:52 PM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus
  Centurions (late 2nd century AD) MVinc 21 5,691 10-18-2011, 06:44 PM
Last Post: MVinc
  Centurions armor Woadwarrior 17 4,607 08-13-2006, 09:21 AM
Last Post: D B Campbell