Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Allies camp at Coronea
Anyone with familiar with the battle of Coronea 394 BC know, or suspect where the anti-Spartan Alliance camp was situated?
I assume that the Theban and allied army deployed with their right flank on, or close to the road that ran along Lake Copais.
If their camp was close to Coronea, filing off the road to their left would have allowed them to form line quite promptly. Or was their camp in the hills close to Lake Copais?
Photo: my game table with positions for the two armies... [Image: DSC05058_16cms-width_200ppi-_notated_1.jpg]
(04-03-2019, 07:10 AM)Michael Collins Wrote: Anyone with familiar with the battle of Coronea 394 BC know, or suspect where the anti-Spartan Alliance camp was situated?
I assume that the Theban and allied army deployed with their right flank on, or close to the road that ran along Lake Copais.
If their camp was close to Coronea, filing off the road to their left would have allowed them to form line quite promptly. Or was their camp in the hills close to Lake Copais?
Photo: my game table with positions for the two armies... [Image: DSC05058_16cms-width_200ppi-_notated_1.jpg]

Coming back to my own question, I guess the allied camp was back along the Coronea road, and once the battle was lost the Thebans only hope was to march back along it, across the battlefield to the safety of their camp, otherwise they would have had a very hard time of it with so many Spartan and allied cavalry and light troops around?

A view of the Thebans` end of the battlefield:
[Image: DSC05081a_16-width_200ppi_annotated.jpg]

In my game I tried to make as best sense of the Theban`s manouevre as I possibly could; I think I had them countermarch and then form line to their right before marching towards the Spartans.

Having counter-marched, the Thebans begin to reform their line...
[Image: DSC05178.jpg]

The following units file into position...
[Image: DSC05210.jpg]

After a very long fight the Spartans give way and the Thebans escape (blue marker=disorder and white=shaken in morale)...
[Image: DSC05272.jpg]