Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thracian sword reconstruction Vindonissa Museum
Thank you Ivor  Wink it certainly will do sacrificing  Cry but I hope the barbrian kind. 
Dan dogwood has a very tight grain, you can only just see it in the cross grain. It is also good to carve. The only small thing is even well seasoned it can shrink a little after you work it. I had to go over the rivets the next day to pull it back together not much but you could feel the scales had a slight move.
Today scabbard, I carved the slot out first, leave a gap at the bottom as you carve so the point does not hit when inserted.

Once both sides are carved, cut out one piece to near the edges,  I leave about 1/4"  all around the edge, second photo the bottom one has been marked out.
 Now this has come up sometimes in threads, once you glue and clamp. Use the blade and put inside and use the blade to remove excess glue and stop snots from forming and stopping the blade going back in  Wink hope to have this finished today ready for leather and fittings to be made Huh
Regards Brennivs  Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Finished wood core and not a bad afternoons bit of work  Smile

I have went with full guttering, so have made a start once these are made, it will just be straight forward cross bands. I am going with just two rings to attach to the baldric/belt which ever seems best. I have even thought of just one ring but until the parts are on I can work from that before fitting.

I am still looking for decoration possibly repousse plate then silver the metal work, any thoughts or suggestions please post. Its a sunny day so back to finish the other one.

Both parts done now  Smile so will call it a day. I also used my roman carpenters gear to make the scabbard Shy

Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Frame fitted to scabbard  Smile  now just to play around with plates and cross bands.

Just need to clean wood down ready for leather. While doing the research and looking at thracian swords in general, the sword I am now convinced it is a romanised version of there traditional sword for use by the cavalry. Looking at other stele, there looks like a similar blade with a normal gladivs/spatha handle fitted. I hope to have some more done by tomorrow and all the other parts made Smile
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
All main components are done, I can go no further until decorative plate is done  Smile have looked through my files but nothing I can see looks like it could work  Angry and fit in to the context, more research  Huh

Amazingly I have managed to use materials I have lying around the workshop, the only thing that can stop me is the leather. I am thinking black with the silvered fittings just hope I have some pieces  Confused
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Taking shape  Smile

Will crack on with cross band, then leave until other part is made  Smile
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Well I have opted for a thracian hunting scene, but still debating if it works  Undecided

May feel better when silvered  Dodgy hmm just the ring cross band. Any thoughts  Smile
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Well finished so far. After looking through Miks I have opted to use sword buttons so it can fit to belt or baldric. Since this sword is just a blade with no scabbard to go on I have use my best judgement ?? as well as the buttons. I may add decoration to the baldric ? The sword itself is really bad piece of kit, the stele showing a head in the hand sums up its function. Its compact size makes it ideal to conceal. I have enjoyed making this again not been done but another piece of kit carried by soldiers, and can add to the understanding and history of equipment.

Hope you like  Smile
Already have my next one in mind,  this time handle to be done first if I can pull it off ?
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Leather arrived  Smile Wink just a good clean and polish. 

Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
It's been quite a while Tony... Beautiful work!
Thank you very much Patrick  Smile it certainly has  Wink
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dagger Reconstruction Damascus Museum brennivs - tony drake 7 1,334 05-15-2020, 05:46 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Pompeii Sword Reconstruction Thread Titus Marius Secundus 81 12,756 02-23-2014, 05:07 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Replica of Mainz-Fulham Type \"Vindonissa\" Sword mkoehler 21 5,723 12-23-2012, 06:44 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar