Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thracian sword reconstruction Vindonissa Museum
After a few years I now can make this sword from Vindonissa. I first saw this as a small picture in a book but without a length to go on just left it. I now have them so have made a start, and I have it to a near shape. I can tell you it is a beast in the hand, I will post photos as I go for now the picture itself I am working from, sorry file will not down load  Angry 

Ha I won't let technology defeat me Wink
May take a bit to finish work ect but will post as I go along  Smile 
Regards Brennivs  Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Here its is in the rough, this will be a easy grind but still time consuming  Wink  then metal guard and a nice grip just some holes for rivets. 

What I started with and the rough shape.

Very interesting sword to work on, I have not seen anything like it in a Roman context, so any imput is welcome.
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
The blade has its first grind. From here I can start to take it down to the profile of the origonal blade. It will have a wicked cutting edge.

So it is going well so far. If you have any questions please ask away  Wink 
Total length; 55.3cm
Max width; 4.2cm
Blade; 44cm
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
(05-09-2019, 08:28 PM)brennivs - tony drake Wrote: The blade has its first grind. From here I can start to take it down to the profile of the origonal blade. It will have a wicked cutting edge.

So it is going well so far. If you have any questions please ask away  Wink 
Total length; 55.3cm
Max width; 4.2cm
Blade; 44cm
He Tony, nice blade! But I believe there is something wrong with your reconstruction. Notice how the blade in the picture of the original is wider near the tip then near the handle. And that is not due to corrosion. Yours has a perfectly straight back and a even width. It can be easily fixed to conform to the original, but it does need a visit to a blacksmith shop to correct the shape IMHO. That is, if you have not ground the spine down yet .....
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Archeologie Beleven!
>http://www.ferrumantica.eu  (The NEW Fabrica of Vvlpivs!)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pompeii Sword Reconstruction Thread Titus Marius Secundus 81 10,197 02-23-2014, 05:07 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Replica of Mainz-Fulham Type \"Vindonissa\" Sword mkoehler 21 4,734 12-23-2012, 06:44 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar