Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ancient Warfare - Which Thema would like?
Thumbs Up 
Salute!

I wonder which Topic on AW you would like to see.

As a fan of Late Antiquity I would like to see a Issues focused on Post-Roman Britain.

-Situation about the retire of Roman Forces and the Status Quo in AD 410
-The "Warlords" which suceded Roman Rule
-The menace from Northern Germany
-Battles in 5th Century Britain
-A bit about historical facts behind "King Arthur" - Maybe Sarmatian Cataphracts and their belief in Swords in Stones?

Steffen
Daritus Wrote:-A bit about historical facts behind "King Arthur" - Maybe Sarmatian Cataphracts and their belief in Swords in Stones?

No!
I don't mind more about the real Lucius Artorius Castus but any connection between the Sarmatians of his time and 'King Arthur' is a house of cards based on wishful thinking and abuse of the available sources.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
(06-09-2019, 11:25 AM)Daritus Wrote: -Situation about the retire of Roman Forces and the Status Quo in AD 410
-The "Warlords" which suceded Roman Rule
-The menace from Northern Germany
-Battles in 5th Century Britain
-A bit about historical facts behind "King Arthur"

An issue about the end of Roman Britain would be good - the problem is, we don't have all that much solid evidence to go on! Even less for what followed... Post-Roman developments on Hadrian's Wall might be worth looking at (maybe following Rob Collins's work) but it all gets very vague after cAD400.

I agree with Robert about 'Arthur' too. Historical facts there are none - Guy Halsall's recent book covers the ground pretty well.
Nathan Ross

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ancient Warfare Magazine / Back Issues Len Campey 2 1,419 07-21-2018, 10:07 AM
Last Post: Len Campey
  Ancient Warfare XI-2: On the cusp of empire! Praefectusclassis 3 2,317 05-17-2017, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Gunthamund Hasding
  Ancient Warfare X.6 - The Year of the Four Emperors Praefectusclassis 0 1,502 01-12-2017, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis