Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Visiting Hadrian's Wall
Hello, 
I am tempted by the idea of walking along the Hadrian's Wall. Is there any one that has done it?
What could be the best period? Stages? Places not to be missed? Number of days to be be planned, ...

If you have done, please share your experience Smile
- CaesarAugustus
www.romanempire.cloud
(Marco Parente)
Never done it myself (never got past the planning stage) but I know a good dozen who have. Ben Kane (the author) did it several times, I think this year even.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
(08-01-2019, 08:23 PM)CaesarAugustus Wrote: If you have done, please share your experience Smile

Walked from Carlisle to Newcastle (the "wrong" direction) in 6 days. Fairly leisurely walking (I'm not as young as I used to be). Roughly 12-mile stints. Stopped at Walton, Gilsland (Birdoswald), Steel Rigg, Chollerford (Chesters), Heddon-on-the-Wall, Newcastle.

We arranged accommodation at each stop beforehand (again, because I'm not as young as I used to be).
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
(08-04-2019, 05:31 PM)D B Campbell Wrote:
(08-01-2019, 08:23 PM)CaesarAugustus Wrote: If you have done, please share your experience Smile

Walked from Carlisle to Newcastle (the "wrong" direction) in 6 days. Fairly leisurely walking (I'm not as young as I used to be). Roughly 12-mile stints. Stopped at Walton, Gilsland (Birdoswald), Steel Rigg, Chollerford (Chesters), Heddon-on-the-Wall, Newcastle.

We arranged accommodation at each stop beforehand (again, because I'm not as young as I used to be).
Thanks for information Smile

Why is Carlisle - Newcastle the wrong direction? It is what I was thinking to do Smile
- CaesarAugustus
www.romanempire.cloud
(Marco Parente)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  LEGO Hadrian\'s Wall Flavivs Aetivs 3 2,052 10-18-2015, 09:26 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Picture of Hadrian\'s Wall Epictetus 5 1,785 05-02-2014, 03:09 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius
  Help Keep Hadrian\'s Wall Vindex 0 1,025 12-06-2013, 06:39 PM
Last Post: Vindex