Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lorica Squamata Literature?
Are there any Empire/Region wide Studies, Surveys, extensive overviews etc, of this armour, specifically Roman Squamata ?
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
(11-22-2019, 03:04 PM)Crispianus Wrote: Are there any Empire/Region wide Studies, Surveys, extensive overviews etc, of this armour, specifically Roman Squamata ?
It's not specifically Roman in coverage (the author is I think mostly known as an expert in the Byzantine army).  It's a short book (main text about 100 pages) and in spite of the name, the book really focuses on Iron age to early middle ages (e.g. Scythians to Vikings-sort of range).  Although the title says "in the West", it also mentions Iranian and Muslim use - I think "West" in the title is simply intended to exclude China/other Eastern Asia.  Amazon preview pages are quite extensive of you want to take a look:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Timothy-Dawson-...merReviews

Apparently he also produced a booklet (22 pages) on Roman lamellar bu I cannot see it on Amazon or the Book Depositary:

https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/O...edir_esc=y

Regards,
John
(11-24-2019, 04:33 PM)John W Davison Wrote: It's not specifically Roman in coverage (the author is I think mostly known as an expert in the Byzantine army).  It's a short book (main text about 100 pages) and in spite of the name, the book really focuses on Iron age to early middle ages (e.g. Scythians to Vikings-sort of range).  Although the title says "in the West", it also mentions Iranian and Muslim use - I think "West" in the title is simply intended to exclude China/other Eastern Asia.  Amazon preview pages are quite extensive of you want to take a look:

Apparently he also produced a booklet (22 pages) on Roman lamellar bu I cannot see it on Amazon or the Book Depositary:

Regards,
John

Thanks John

This article from JRMES seems to be part of the 1000 years of Lamellar booklet:
Klivanion revisited: an evolutionary typology and catalogue of middle Byzantine lamellar.
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
(11-24-2019, 09:27 PM)Crispianus Wrote:
(11-24-2019, 04:33 PM)John W Davison Wrote: It's not specifically Roman in coverage (the author is I think mostly known as an expert in the Byzantine army).  It's a short book (main text about 100 pages) and in spite of the name, the book really focuses on Iron age to early middle ages (e.g. Scythians to Vikings-sort of range).  Although the title says "in the West", it also mentions Iranian and Muslim use - I think "West" in the title is simply intended to exclude China/other Eastern Asia.  Amazon preview pages are quite extensive of you want to take a look:

Regards,
John

Thanks John

This article from JRMES seems to be part of the 1000 years of Lamellar booklet:
Klivanion revisited: an evolutionary typology and catalogue of middle Byzantine lamellar.

Sorry - I should also have mentioned the "Roman Body Armour" volume in the Travis & Travis trilogy - but you may well already know the book as it's a well-known set - there is a full chapter (about 20 pages) on scale and lamellar:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roman-Body-Armo...oks&sr=1-1

The earlier Dawson booklet on lamellar is described as superseded on his own website here (which is quite an interesting website so worth a look anyway!):

http://www.levantia.com.au/publications.html

Regards,
John
(11-22-2019, 03:04 PM)Crispianus Wrote: Are there any Empire/Region wide Studies, Surveys, extensive overviews etc, of this armour, specifically Roman Squamata ?
After you have read the big broad books like Robinson or Bishop and Coulston (or M.C. Bishop, "Body Armour," in Yann Le Bohec (ed.), The Encyclopedia of the Roman Army (Wiley-Blackwell 2015) vol. 1 pp. 1-8 http://mcbishop.co.uk/upload/body_armor.pdf), I would honestly recommend tracking down the books and articles in my overview of surviving scale armour. If you know the best preserved finds, you can interpret the sculptures and the fragments from other sites.

Edit: I flipped through a copy of Travis and Travis, Roman Body Armour (Amberley 2011) and the section on scale and lamellar armour looks OK
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
(11-26-2019, 12:12 PM)Sean Manning Wrote:
After you have read the big broad books like Robinson or Bishop and Coulston (or M.C. Bishop, "Body Armour," in Yann Le Bohec (ed.), The Encyclopedia of the Roman Army (Wiley-Blackwell 2015) vol. 1 pp. 1-8 http://mcbishop.co.uk/upload/body_armor.pdf), I would honestly recommend tracking down the books and articles in my overview of surviving scale armour.  If you know the best preserved finds, you can interpret the sculptures and the fragments from other sites.

Edit: I flipped through a copy of Travis and Travis, Roman Body Armour (Amberley 2011) and the section on scale and lamellar armour looks OK
That's a great resource you put together there, Sean.

Qui sepeliunt capita sua in terra, deos volantes non videbunt.
--Flavius Flav 
You're welcome Tod.  If I get a research job, I hope I can finish adding the material from Chernenko's German book, then create an open-access version with diagrams and descriptions of all the finds. Then they will be more accessible to people without a lot of free time and a library card at a university library.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Thanks for all your replies, I found this article in my search which I thought might be interesting to some:

Neuzeitliche Schuppenketten von römischen Fundstellen.

Effectively: Modern Scales from Roman Sites. deals with those odd multiscale scales....

Wink
Ivor