Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gladius Guard Plates
Hi all,

I'm currently working on a gladius hilt and I wanted to make a guard plate with a deeper profile, like the ones in the photo.

Does anyone have any experience or tips on how to make one of those? Is there a good method for keeping the bends crisp? 

Any help is appreciated, thanks! 

[Image: guards.jpg]
I may be able to help, but need a few props to show you so will get back. Otherwise should be straight forward.
Regards Brennivs  Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Great, looking forward to it!
Basically I have used a hard wood former, make it to the size of the inner part of the plate with the excess  metal material to the size you wish to bend over. As added strength to the former I would glue a mild steel plate to it to help with the sharpness to the finished guard plate. then also make another former to the same size so it can be used to clamp in a vice and sandwich the plate in between and help to stop the plate from deforming. Make a wood chisel and use a hammer, slowly start to bend the flange to the desired angle for the plate. take your time as you dont want to stretch the metal to much so it ripples. I am looking for a former I made to show but Just cannot put my hand on it  Angry but this is what I made useing the technique to make chapes and pugio scabbard frames,

Hope this is of help will post when I put my hands on former.
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pictures/Needed of 1st Century Gladius guard plate Pointer 0 1,070 06-07-2014, 08:52 AM
Last Post: Pointer
  pompei gladius whit scabbard plates from carnuntum munazio planco 2 2,037 07-10-2012, 01:01 AM
Last Post: arklore70
  gladius mainz whit guard and pommel in wood silvered munazio planco 6 2,550 08-12-2009, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Doc