Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Roman Shield construction
Hello, I am currently making a Late Roman shield. I have been having trouble finding good paints and a Boss for my shield. For those who have created such a shield (or one similar). Where did go get your Boss and what paints did you use for your shield?
I used modern paints,but you could milk-based pigments? They are available from reenactment shops.

What sort of umbo did you have in mind?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Holger Ratsdorf makes a couple of Bosses. Ibor makes them too. Wieland Forge if you're in Britain (he's no longer shipping overseas as he's trying to catch up on orders).
(12-30-2019, 12:17 PM)Robert Vermaat Wrote: I used modern paints,but you could milk-based pigments? They are available from reenactment shops.

What sort of umbo did you have in mind?
Hi, sorry for the late reply, I have finished most of my shield by this point. I was quite worried in how it would turn out especially with the paint, this is my first time doing a Late Roman shield so it could be seen as a practice. All that is left is to add the rim and umbo to the shield. I have looked into milk based pigments and they look much better than the paint I have used. As of now i'm searching around for a 12 cm diameter umbo, for my future projects I would like to know if there was any accurate measurement of the contemporary shields boss.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making a domed Late Roman shield M. Demetrius 33 12,751 10-26-2011, 02:05 AM
Last Post: Caballo
  Late Roman shield backing Caballo 5 2,341 03-30-2011, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Matthew Amt
  Late Roman Army Shield Dimensions MarcellusCCLXXV 12 5,618 03-24-2011, 03:40 AM
Last Post: M. Demetrius