Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Family origins of Emperor Publius Helvius Pertinax
I have recently gained an interest in this potentially good, short lived emperor. The interesting thing to me is his family origins.
It is said he was the son of a freedman named Helvius Succesus. This makes him the first Roman emperor who was not of a distinguished family bloodline. 
The thing that i want to know is who his fathers former master was to allow his freedom and subsequently support his son through the military and giving him enough esteem to be viable as an emperor. 
From what I have read in the supposedly unreliable Historia Augusta, is that Pertinax was given his name by his father in relation to his time in the timber industry. So if that is the case does that mean that Helvius' former master was a businessman in the timber trade? The name "Helvius" itself has Gaulish origins so it does sort of connect to the Roman forestry in Gaul at the time. Perhaps this former master was a Helvii.

The Historia then goes on to say "with the aid of Lollianus Avitus, a former consul and his father's patron, he sought an appointment to a command in the ranks. "

This part gets me a little confused. It makes sense that a former consul would have the influence and wealth to give Pertinax a command. Its definitely more liable than a forestry business owner. Then again perhaps this Lollianus was the owner of a forestry as well as being a consul. With Lollianus as the former master and patron where does the name "Helvius" and "Succesus" come from in Pertinax' father? Weren't freedman supposed to gain their former masters family name, as a slave they never had no real official name. 
Again, the quote could also be referring to two individuals aiding Pertinax; Lollianus and "his fathers patron". 

I am really keen to get to the bottom of this. The man became an emperor for Goodness sake! Surely there could be some more information on his family origins.
I would say we have no idea. All background is from the HA.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)