Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions regarding construction of a Lorica Squamata
I've been looking into armorĀ  for quite some time. In the end I chose a Lorica Squamata. Apart from the fact that it's an intersting choice in regards to what most others use. It's also the only one I have faith in that I can make/assemble myself. So I did my research, looked trough the literature and collected a large folder of reference material. There are only just a few details that are unclear to me. Perhaps you all can help me.

1) From "Armor from imperial Rome" I understand that the percentage of overlap of the scales is always the same, so that smaller scales proportionally have the same amount of overlap as larger scales. In other words, larger scales overlap visually less than smaller scales but due to thickness of the scales overal thickness is the same. Now my question is this: "What is the consensus in how much scales (width: 25mm height: 37mm) should overlap? Is it so much that the holes are obscured? Is it one third? Or do we simply don't know?"

2) Regarding the way the scales are attached to the padding/vest/lining. In the collected reference meterial I've found that most people use some kind of central thread, either wool or leather, as some kind of guiding line. In the book "Armor from imperial Rome" I've not found any reference to this. Perhaps I've simply overlooked it. My question is this: "What approaches true authenticity the most? Is it some kind of leather thread? If so what thickness? Round? Square? Or is wool equally acceptable?"

3) The reference material that I have shows that ways of opening and closing are all over the place. But "Armor from imperial Rome" talks about only two different ways. On either the back or on the left (shield) side. And if chosen for the left side as long as there is overlap it's just as protected as the rest of the armor. But what is unclear to me is just how it's closed. Is it simply four laces, sown into the liner, that tie together in a knot? Are four small leather belts and buckles more appropriate? Or do we simply don't know for sure?

It's been a real blast making my own armor. For some strange reason I find it soothing and relaxing to attach the scales to one another. This drudgefull, monotonous and to some seemingly endless work. But my mind just wanders to places. Perhaps it's the tought of getting to have my own little piece of inspired history that I get to wear. Wierd isn't it? This passion we call reenacting? But no matter, I hope some of you can shed your light on the questions I have.

With kind regards,

Jeroen
Jeroen
Lover of all things Rome and it's history...
...also an expert eater of pasta.
Probably the best example to look at for materials and construction is that from from Carpow, its a piece from the top neck area which is badly damaged but still largely intact.

You will need to agree to conditions to view:

Excavation Reports: search here for "Carpow"

The one with the Scale see page 561 on: 'Excavations directed by J D Leach and J J Wilkes on the site of a Roman fortress at Carpow, Perthshire, 1964-79.'

Details of construction, you will need to create an account to view:

A find of Roman scale armour from Carpow (Britannia XII, 1981, 305f) John-Peter Wild

And consists of a course linen (flax) canvas backing, to which the scales are attached in rows, these rows have been made up before being attached by "stapling" them together in rows first.
Each set of rows is held in place on the backing by a fairly thick but loosely twisted linen (flax) cord, this would need to lay flat hence the loose twist.
The cord doesn't go through the scales but lays on the top, and a seperate thread passing though the scales is used to hold the cord and rows of scales and cord to the backing.
The edges are finished with a thin goat leather, which is laced on from two thin strips of the same.

The Dura horse armour which appears to be similar construction though has larger scales, appears to have laces at the edges closing them them together, no buckles and straps.

PM me if you cant get the articles Wink
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Thank you so very much! The John-Peter Wild couple of pages are exactly what I needed in regards to know how to attach the scales to the lining, it's spacing and method of closing the Lorica. And now I have a real life archeological find/source that is at the basis for my own construction. Thank you for this, I'm truly gratefull.

PS: I managed to download the J.D. Leach & J.J. Wilkes paper. But apart from two seemingly random pages it all apears to be white. I also looked to other sources for the same paper, but they all have the same problem. Most pages are blank. I found it odd, so I put the .PDF file trough an online converter to .docx and now it's fully readable. So thanks for that as well.

I'm very thankfull for your quick but most importnantly all including anwsers. A testament to the awesomeness of this community and this site.

With kind regards,

Jeroen
Jeroen
Lover of all things Rome and it's history...
...also an expert eater of pasta.
(01-29-2020, 03:33 PM)cannonfodder90 Wrote: Thank you so very much! The John-Peter Wild couple of pages are exactly what I needed in regards to know how to attach the scales to the lining, it's spacing and method of closing the Lorica. And now I have a real life archeological find/source that is at the basis for my own construction. Thank you for this, I'm truly gratefull.

PS: I managed to download the J.D. Leach & J.J. Wilkes paper. But apart from two seemingly random pages it all apears to be white. I also looked to other sources for the same paper, but they all have the same problem. Most pages are blank. I found it odd, so I put the .PDF file trough an online converter to .docx and now it's fully readable. So thanks for that as well.

I'm very thankfull for your quick but most importnantly all including anwsers. A testament to the awesomeness of this community and this site.

With kind regards,

Jeroen

I meant to post these scales from Darlington as well but the site was undergoing maintenance at the time, image shows a strip of scales in high res held together by square section "wire":

Roman Scales Darlington UK

I find the free Foxit PDF reader works well on my windows 10 PC, I think PDF is basically the standard for most archaeological papers but as its the only one I usually use I'm not certain.

Wink
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  how to build a lorica squamata munazio planco 12 5,877 11-04-2020, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Crispvs
  Squamata construction Crispvs 22 9,924 10-26-2018, 09:45 AM
Last Post: agrimensor
  Making a lorica squamata for a seven year old boy - some questions Iskierka 1 856 10-15-2018, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Crispvs