Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman use of T-Y style armour
In my current research quest to nail down something for Herod the Great's soldiers I ran into the question of whether or not anyone might still be using a recognisable form of the T-Y cuirass in the 1st Cent. BC/AD.  The notes got out of hand so I decided to put them into a form vaguely resembling a paper of some kind.  It was only ever meant for my coworkers benefit and it hasn't been proofread or anything of that sort.  But I wondered what folks here on RAT would think of it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tayr68oua6mtpy6/A%20Long%20Service%20Life%20-%20The%20Evolution%20of%20the%20Greek%20Tube%20and%20Yoke%20Corslet%20into%20the%20Roman%20Imperial%20Period%20copy%20PDF.pdf?dl=0

Please don't crucify me....  If anybody takes a peek at it I would be honoured.  If anyone can spare the time to let me know what they think of it (and if I've gone off the deep end) I would be extremely grateful.  I'm really new to ancient stuff.

Cheers
Levi Sherman
Very interesting

Valete
Claudio Magnatti
Titus Clodius Picens
Looks like a reasonable overview. The only thing I would take issue with is not classifying Hellenistic and Roman armour as "tube and yoke". IMO it definitely is, including hamata.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books